Hi All,

I have just reformatted this computer to the manufacturer defaults - IBM NetVista. Kind of old but we are going to use it here in the mill.

My problem is that every time I plug in a USB be device, wither it be a USB Mouse or Memory Stick, it does not automatically start working. I have to go into Device Manager, where I notice it has an '!' by the device and have to make Windows search for the drivers automatically, where it always finds it and properly installs and starts working. Why would this happen???

I don't want to get help desk calls just because somebody tried to re-plug in the mouse... =(

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Try going into control panel - system - hardware - device manager and go to the USB controllers right click and click update click no then next.

Try going into control panel - system - hardware - device manager and go to the USB controllers right click and click update click no then next.

Thank you for getting back to me. However this didn't fix the issue. All of my USB drivers are up to date... :(

HMMM that there is a strange one for sure. once recognized you shouldn't have to redo it everytime what OS you using?

HMMM that there is a strange one for sure. once recognized you shouldn't have to redo it everytime what OS you using?

It is indeed a strange problem. I'm sorry to haunt you with it as well. I'm using Win XP Pro with SP2 and fully up to date.

It is so strange to me that it recognizes the devices, but fails to install until I tell it to do so. It already has the drivers obviously!!!

If I unplug a mouse and plug it back into the same USB port, no problem. But if I try to switch ports... I get the stupid exclamation mark again. :'(

That is odd with Pro seeing how it has lots of drivers and normally loads right up.but changing ports while it is on will confuse it.

I thought that maybe somehow the BIOS might have something to do with it and it somehow was corrupt, so I've also tried clearing the BIOS by pulling the battery out for a while. Still no luck... :(

Did you go to the computers manufacturing site and get any updates for the BIOS?

Did you go to the computers manufacturing site and get any updates for the BIOS?

With your suggestion, I just did that. Still no luck......

Are dropping this case then since it seems to be unable to be resolved? :sad:

Did you install the chipset drivers for your motherboard when you reinstalled your OS? What is the make/model of your motherboard?

Did you install the chipset drivers for your motherboard when you reinstalled your OS? What is the make/model of your motherboard?

I have just tried updating the Chipset drivers and still no success. It's an IBM Netvista 8307-46U...

What in the world could it be??? :@

I have just tried updating the Chipset drivers and still no success. It's an IBM Netvista 8307-46U...

What in the world could it be??? :@

I have a Netvista 8305 I installed in a new case and am experiencing the same problem. First I discovered the audio port would only work after jumpers were added shorting pins on th 20 pin connector on the bottom lefthand corner of the MB. This is the front pannel audio connector. IBM does not supply the pinouts for this connector. I used a multimeter to find the audio pins to be jumpered. These were pins 13-15 17-19 all of the bottom pins are grouded. Pin 5 is 5 volts. I believe there is a possibility that another set of pins needs to be jumpered but am reluctant to do so. I will email IBM or Lenvo . Good luck. Lloyd

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.