I bought a new pavillion -and love it and have no real problems with vista (**cough**yet) but I'm wondering what is making it boot so slowly? Any ideas? I disabled Norton and am running AVG.

:D

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

'lo

whts the specs of the machine?... where u buy it from?

RAM!!! I am running VISTA Premium and it runs great. The key is RAM and lots of it, 2GB was the sweet spot in my opinion at 2GB (with a core2duo processor) I run at about 40 - 50% memory utilization on average. If I close everything down I can get it down to about 35%, but then I am not using my computer, I have tacked it all the way up to about 85% from time to time when I am really hammering applications.

Bought it from HP direct:

- Upgrade to Genuine Windows Vista Business (32-bit)
- Intel(R) Core(TM) Duo processor T2450 (2.0 GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 533MHz FSB)
- 14.1" WXGA High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1280 x 800)
- 2GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
- Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator 950
- HP Imprint Finish + Microphone
- Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection and Bluetooth(TM)
- FREE Upgrade from 80GB 5400RPM to 160GB 5400RPM!!
- SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
- No TV Tuner w/remote control
- High Capacity 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
- System Recovery DVD with Genuine Windows Vista Business (32-bit)
- Microsoft(R) Office Basic 2007

Your specs are pretty good, except you video card is shared memory, do you know how much memory is going to the video card? And your HD is 5400 RPM, that is S-L-O-W! so at a glance, if you haven't installed any other programs that are hurting you (check you system resources to make sure) those are the two "sore" spots in you config. But since it is a laptop there will be little you can do about those things, I mean you could upgrade the HD, but it would be expensive and you are stuck with the video card, so all you could do is limit the amount of memory that it receives and/or add more memory to compensate. Remember if you reduce the amount of memory that is receives you will see a change in the way it handles the AERO effects, but if that is not important disabling AERO will help. But I am pretty sure that a lot of the speed issue you are experiencing is from the 5400RPM drive.

Hope this helps

Your specs are pretty good, except you video card is shared memory, do you know how much memory is going to the video card? And your HD is 5400 RPM, that is S-L-O-W! so at a glance, if you haven't installed any other programs that are hurting you (check you system resources to make sure) those are the two "sore" spots in you config. But since it is a laptop there will be little you can do about those things, I mean you could upgrade the HD, but it would be expensive and you are stuck with the video card, so all you could do is limit the amount of memory that it receives and/or add more memory to compensate. Remember if you reduce the amount of memory that is receives you will see a change in the way it handles the AERO effects, but if that is not important disabling AERO will help. But I am pretty sure that a lot of the speed issue you are experiencing is from the 5400RPM drive.

Hope this helps

interesting - thanks for the thoughts!!

I knew I went with the cheap video card and I didn't even think about the HD. Oh well :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.