Knowsum 0 Newbie Poster

My PC runs on Windows XP Professional (Service Pack 2). For some time I had an intermittent problem when starting the PC as it would not recognise the keyboard. I contacted the maker and was advised to update the BIOS and given the short cut to find the update. I updated the BIOS and now the keyboard is responding each time the PC is booted up – that’s the good news.
It may have no relation to this but now I have three other problems. Apart from the BOIS update there has been one Windows automatic update.
1. I am using the PC in a normal manner when suddenly I hear a ‘click’ and I am looking at a black screen and the PC is re-booting – I have never had this problem before. I have changed the settings so that instead of the ‘click’ I now get the message ‘A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.’
2. I tried to post this message through the same PC using Internet Explorer (7) and the screen froze and I had the message ‘Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close’. There is an error log but it means nothing to me. The same happened when I tried using Firefox.
3. I have been using Skype and now, although the program opens in the normal way, it will not connect through my broadband. Normally in the task bar there is a grey icon which has two semi-circular arrows in it and they chase each other around until connection is made and then the icon turns green with a ‘tick’ in it. Now they just chase each other around.

I thought overheating may be a problem so cleaned the inside with the vacuum cleaner the BIOS reading is now are 40oC for the CPU and 33 oC for the MB – I do not know if this is reasonable. After this I ‘restored’ to a date prior when these problems did not exist - no difference the PC still gives me the message ‘A problem has been …’ and the other problems mentioned earlier still exist with the addition that the anti virus (Symantec) has an exclamation mark on the shield and, in the lower left task bar, I did have my frequently used programs as icons – they have now disappeared.
I tried emailing the manufacturer again and followed the advice I was given in updating the drivers for the motherboard, audio, LAN and tried to update the Graphics which came back with something like 'no compatible drivers'.

If it helps the rest of the message on the first blue screen is:
'An attempt was made to write to read-only memory.
If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again follow these steps:

Check to make sure any hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as catching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x000000BE (0x0000001C, 0xBDF7202D, OxED83C8F4, 0x0000000A)

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system adminstrator or technical support group for further assistance.'

I have since had 3 slightly differing message:

2nd
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
If this screen appears again follow these steps:

Check to make sure any hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as catching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mod

Technical Information:
xxx STOP: 0x0000000A (0x003B2874, 0x00000002, 0x 00000001, 0x804EDEE9) xxx STOP:
Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance
3rd
A problem …

The problem seems to be caused by the following file: HSFBS2S2.sys PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGE_AREA
Same as first message to Technical Information which shows:

xxx STOP: 0x00000050 (0x00000000, 0x0xF69EAFCD, 0x00000000)
xxx HSFBS2S2.sys – Address F69EAFCD base at F69C7000, Datestamp 40d22194

4th

A problem …

If this screen …

If problems continue …

Technical information:

0x00000024 (0xED9028E4, 0xED9025E0, 0x804EF4E6)

The latest message (no blue screen as yet) is ‘cisvc.exe has generated error …’ which means nothing to me.

Any useful suggestions?