Hi All

:S I have four desk tops, a tablet, a pda and a laptop in the household. All running XP Pro. One of the desktops is being used for parts and another just went south reason unknown wont boot with anything, don't even get the startup screens. That I will tackle later.

Anyway my wifes pc was making fan noise's so off to the IT shop ( the garage ) for a look see. Swapped out the offending fan, added another bumped the power supply from 350w to 500w and swapped out a lessor graphics card with a Radeon 9800. She only had a cd player so installed a DVD/burner/player. Seemed to boot up ok then realized it was not recognizing the Graphics card nor the DVD player. Check all the jumpers and they seemed appropriate. I went to ATI for the latest drivers and when trying to load get the ol' "you do not have administrator rights, etc." There is only on user account and it is set to administrator. When trying to load DVD player software it did the same thing. It appears to be acting as a limited user account when its set to admin. Ideas please, so much thanks.

PS. :sweat: Every PC has its own XP disk and I may have mixed them up and do not know all of which ones go to what PC. Is there a way to match the disk to the computer? Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

booot in safe mode by hitting F8 repeatedly as sooon as the PC powers on. You will see a "super administrator" account. Login as it and change your wifes account back to a admin user

PS. Every PC has its own XP disk and I may have mixed them up and do not know all of which ones go to what PC. Is there a way to match the disk to the computer? Thanks

only matters if any of them are computer specific winxp recovery cd's

It would cause problems with activation

It would cause problems with activation

what would cause problem with activation

booot in safe mode by hitting F8 repeatedly as sooon as the PC powers on. You will see a "super administrator" account. Login as it and change your wifes account back to a admin user

F8 will open feature but it will not boot to safe mode.

I am able to change back and forth between admin & limited but nothing works as admin. I even tried setting up a new admin account but it also will not allow admin privileges?

gm

Then why am I having to buy an OS for each computer? I thought the key was computer specific?

gm

ok here a few tips, the xp keys are computer specific, especially if u activate. the cds. if they are retail (bought in store) original cds will work in any pc. you would only have to remeber the key that goes with a specific machine. now as for the admin right Go to Control Pannel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Local Users and Groups -> Users -> Administrator: Click on -Member Of- TAB: The only thing that you want in there is Administrators. Also, ensure that her account is listed in the administrator group.

ok here a few tips, the xp keys are computer specific, especially if u activate. the cds. if they are retail (bought in store) original cds will work in any pc. you would only have to remeber the key that goes with a specific machine. now as for the admin right Go to Control Pannel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Local Users and Groups -> Users -> Administrator: Click on -Member Of- TAB: The only thing that you want in there is Administrators. Also, ensure that her account is listed in the administrator group.

Right what I am trying to remember is which cd goes with which computer. Most were bought over the counter, some with machine?

Everything appears to be as you say, Member of Tab only has Administrator. I assume you mean "group" rather than "user" on the second part of your answer, which had Adminsitrator and the Named Account. So I'm bummed, sometimes I really hate computers. Thanks for trying though.

Right what I am trying to remember is which cd goes with which computer. Most were bought over the counter, some with machine?

doesn't matter what disk go with what machine ,unless as i said before ,the ones that came with machines are recovery cd's and they would be clearly marked as being so ,like Dell recovery cd ,or in my case ALC winxp Recovery cd. ,

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.