Hi, I was asked to rebuild a compaq nc6000, (reformat disks, reinstall XP Pro and software) Since the rebuild I haven't been able to connect the laptop to the domain. I get the following error:

<quote>
A domain controller for the domain (DOMAINNAME HERE) could not be contacted.

Ensure that the domain name is typed correctly.

If the name is correct click Details for troubleshooting information.
</quote>

Domain Name is correct.

It says the following when I click the Details button:

<quote>
The domain name (DOMAIN NAME HERE) might be a NetBIOS domain name. If this is the
case, verify that the domain name is properly registered with WINS.

If you are certain that the name is not a NetBIOS domain name, then the following
information can help you troubleshoot your DNS configuration.

An error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record
used to locate a domain controller for domain (DOMAIN NAME HERE).

The error was "No DNS servers configured for local system."
(error code 0x0000267C DNS_Error_NO_DNS_SERVERS)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.(DOMAIN NAME HERE)

For more information, click Help.
</quote>

Could this be a driver error, as this problem is only occuring on this single laptop? How can I determine what drivers are installed/ needed? Or am I on completely the wrong track? Is there something else that is causing this? Any thoughts/ suggestions, would be most welcome.

Thanks,
chuck.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Pardon my dumb question - what domain? Presumably your local network domain? The one you have to specify (like Workgroup)?

What do you see in My Networks? Have you got the TCP setting right? etc.

After the fresh install did you use the Network Identification Wizard to try and join the domain?

Sorry, was trying to connect laptop to work domain. Issue was caused by lack of drivers. Found the right ones on HP's website.

Thanks for the responses,
chuck

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.