I have Windows XP SP2 all current updates and always current Virus software, Adaware, Hardware Firewall and Software firewall. I am not able to access the "Run" Command from the Start Menu nor can I view "Startup". I also cannot view "Newwork Connections" in the Control panel along with Administrative Tools (although I can from the "Program" menu with Admin Tools) Fonts, Portalbe Media Devises, Scanner & Camera, Scheduled Tasks. Also when I click on "Search" on the Start Menu, I receive a notice that says: Windows Cannot Create a Shortcut here. Any Ideas???

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Have you tried right clicking the start button, then going to properties and under the start menu tab select customize, then go to the advanced tab under customize start menu. You should see a list of start menu items, browse through these items and select what you want to be displayed.

Have you tried right clicking the start button, then going to properties and under the start menu tab select customize, then go to the advanced tab under customize start menu. You should see a list of start menu items, browse through these items and select what you want to be displayed.

The problem is not that it is not displayed the problem is that when I do click on "Run" nothing happens.
The same goes for the rest of the items I have listed in my previous post. I click them and nothing happens.

XP home or Pro?

seems like a privilage thing you a normal user or adminsitrator? normal users cant use run or network connections!

normal users cant use run or network connections!

Yes they can.

I think you've been hit by a Virus or Trojan. These things don't happen by themselves. Something's altered the policies.

You may have some luck if you log in as Administrator with the likely null passowrd it defaults, or whatever you set it to. But I'm not optimistic.

Presumably you've tried booting to the last known good configuration.

Otherwise, it's quicker to re-build your software than to mess arounbd trying to get rid of the gremlins. That's my view, anyway.

Good luck.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.