I must be suffering a brain fart. I cannot figure out how to set up a user to be able to access a Win2003 server via FTP.

I installed IIS with FTP and other required stuff
I created an FTP server, using 'User Isolation', root is D:\userdir\FTP_ROOT
I started the server
I can access the FTP server
I created user 'firstuser' in the only Windows domain in use: office.place
I created a home dir for the user in LocalUser\firstuser in the FTP root dir

However, when user 'firstuser' tries to login in, it insists the home directory cannot be accessed.

FTP server's root: D:\userdir\FTP_ROOT

This root dir contains LocalUser\firstuser; I've checked and triple-checked NTFS perms from D: all the way down. It's there and should be accessible. But it isn't.

OK, so then I tried D:\userdir\FTP_ROOT\office.place\firstuser. Still no joy.

What am I missing!?! Do I need to create the user locally? Or do I need to use AD user isolation?

Thanks,
Neal

ERROR 101: REMOVE FENCEPOST FROM EYE

I's'll gauchely answer my own post.

This root dir contains LocalUser\firstuser; I've checked and triple-checked NTFS perms from D: all the way down. It's there and should be accessible. But it isn't.

OK, so then I tried D:\userdir\FTP_ROOT\office.place\firstuser. Still no joy.

The directory under FTP_ROOT needs to be the OLD-STYLE windows domain name, not the internet-style domain name, as in:
D:\userdir\FTP_ROOT\OFFICE\firstuser

Soon's I did that, it worked; the users I've created can log in, and they are limited to that which NTFS security allows.

There is joy in the Blue Ridge today!

N

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.