Good evening everyone I'm having a rather rough problem installing vista on a friends computer. I hate to even admit that I'm having problems installing it but I told them I would try to figure it out.
They came to me and told me that they couldn't even get it to turn on (I work in the automations section at their work so they brought it to me). It boots fine into safe mode and runs Win XP Home SP2. It is a Dell XPS/Dimension XPS Gen 2, bought in 2004. Its specs that I've noticed are 3.2 ghz proc, 1 gb ram, 120 gb hdd partitioned into c (boot) and d. When booting xp and not in safe mode the screen goes black for about five seconds and then you can see for about five seconds, then back to black (and the cycle repeats.) in safe mode however the computer seems to act just fine.
When I go to install Vista it shows the hard drive except for when you go to actually tell setup to install to a specific partition at which point it says "Driver: [Intel(R) 82801ER SATA RAID Controller] Required". I've tried numerous times to direct it to the driver but sadly all have failed. Any suggestions?
Sorry if I may have gave too much extra information I just find it is easier to diagnose a problem when you know all you possibly can about the issue. If any more information is needed just let me know and I will gladly give it. Thank you kindly in advance.

TP

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

herer is a easy solution u can try, .......do u have the restore cd that came with the computer. if so do a clean install. then install vista.

herer is a easy solution u can try, .......do u have the restore cd that came with the computer. if so do a clean install. then install vista.

I believe I may do that. I was actually hoping to avoid doing that but as it seems it wont be able to be helped I will probably be doing that... once i get a chance. lol... never have much time anymore but thank you kindly for your assistance.

TP

in most case vista doesn't require sata raid drivers.if this is the problem try to put the floppy in the drive not the cd rom.if you dont have the raid floppy the mother board cd has the option to make the floppy for you.just log into xp and make it.

sadly i even tried to remove the sata configuration completely (from within the bios) which solved the problem of the sata raid controller but now everytime i install vista; clean install or upgrade it fails. lol... it happens i guess. it just bugs me i couldnt get it... lol..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.