I ran Hijack This to see if I had anything wasting my memory, since I only have 256. I don't know what "extra button" is for. Should I post in malware? I don't suspect any malware; I just want to cut out any stuff not needed.

Thanks!

Here is the log:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 6:27:01 PM, on 12/3/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16544)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Kevin\Desktop\HiJackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.rr.com/browsers/redirect/?b=RRHSO_BLD1&CMP=OTC-RRHSO_BLD1HPRR&d=homerr
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.rr.com/browsers/redirect/?b=RRHSO_BLD1&CMP=OTC-RRHSO_BLD1HPRR&d=homerr
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.rr.com/browsers/redirect/?b=RRHSO_BLD1&CMP=OTC-RRHSO_BLD1HPRR&d=homerr
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.rr.com/browsers/redirect/?b=RRHSO_BLD1&CMP=OTC-RRHSO_BLD1HPRR&d=homerr
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Windows Internet Explorer provided by Road Runner High Speed Online
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ZoneAlarm Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [MySpaceIM] C:\Program Files\MySpace\IM\MySpaceIM.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [MySpaceIM] C:\Program Files\MySpace\IM\MySpaceIM.exe (User 'Default user')
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Program Files\PartyGaming\PartyPoker\RunApp.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Program Files\PartyGaming\PartyPoker\RunApp.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1176179276233
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1176253094233
O16 - DPF: {D8089245-3211-40F6-819B-9E5E92CD61A2} (FlashXControl Object) - https://signin3.valueactive.com/Register/Branding/olr3313/OCX/flashax.cab
O23 - Service: Ad-Aware 2007 Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft AB - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

--
End of file - 5088 bytes

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

hi explodinghead75, if the reason you want to remove those necessary stuff because you want that your loading at startup become more faster..then i recommend using Bootvis (from Microsoft).. i tried this and my startup is more faster now.. search google about this file...

Your best bet is to buy the best program for ez customization and optimization of your pc. For a mere 20 bux u should get the new system mechanic. U will be able to self customize your start up programs, what services are running automatically, spyware removal, registry back up, cleaning, and compaction, internet optimization, defrag of hard drive and ram, virus removal, firewall, daily system analyzation and courses of action with one click ease, or the option to customize everything manually.
Honestly this program does everything, I love it. plus it tells you exactly what everything does in the process explorer, explains the registry, extends the control panel, customizes all components from one menu, and can be set to do all of this on a schedule. Best thing is that it can restore any original setting or scheme to exactly what it was before you made an adjustment---just in case.
The only thing I hate about it is the system analyzer seems to update the status of the computer too frequently and unexpectedly sucking up too much virt. memory so I disabled it from the start up menu on its own start up customizer, now it will only run when I want it to.

This is the manual way and the way you have to feel out for your self.
The best way to cut down on running processes is to open up Control Panel>Performance and Maintenance>Administrative Tools>Services
Click on the Extended Tab and go through the entire list. If it is something that you know you will never use (like Fax, Windows Firewall, or Messenger in my case) then you should scroll to them hit stop, right click and scroll to properties and disable.
But you will see that many things are set on automatic. This mean that they are set to turn on when you either access a certain program or more likely when you boot up they will automatically start. Some of these are necessary and should remain automatic such as networking services, virus program services, firewall services (but you can turn off specific virus services if you do not use them, such as I turn off newsgroup and outlook virus program services because I never use outlook for email and I never get newsgroups through Outlook) wireless or whatever you know you need to use to function. But certain things you can turn to "Manual" which means that they will only turn on when you specifically access the program associated with the service. For example, if you don't use Help and Troubleshooting constantly then turn it to manual and apply.
This section is a little touchy as many service rely on others to work thus you need to keep both active, and some need to be automatic because you are accessing that particular service via a peripheral program and not directly accessing it. For example you should leave something like Windows Installer on automatic as it only turns for installations anyway and is accessed via another program so you want it to automatically be available.
best way to learn these is by trial and error. I change the scheme of my computer according to what I am doing so I will disable all of my wireless stuff when my laptop is in dock, this cuts down on processes quite a bit. Be careful tho- unless it is obvious that you can change it to manual or disable it I would leave it as it is. I use services so often to change the scheme that I have a shortcut to it on my desktop. This is the only place that you can completely shut down messenger, and windows firewall without being badgered about it in some way or another.
OR you can get total custom control over EVERYTHING including installed registry programs with System Mechanic

commented: very detailed +2

Thanks demonica61. That was very informative post. At this point I would rather try to do it manually, because part of the reason I want to do this is my budget is pretty tight so I've put off adding more memory or just buying another computer; but it's something I should really learn how to do regardless; as I have seen people with much newer computers than mine that actually take longer to boot up and even appear to perform slower because they overload them with junk (and this is probably due to lots of spy ware as well). So I should really spend that $20 I would spend on system mechanic on memory. I would have done this already but it uses RDRAM so it's more expensive and harder to find. Anyway, I can try this manually to improve things right now and at least I will learn how to trim things up better.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.