I have two separate network segments, both segments use Linksys routers. Segment A feeds the router for segment B (separate/different IP schemes). One XP machine on segment B would like to use a networked/IP addressable printer on segment A. I am going to install a 2nd NIC into the XP machine on segment B and assign it a static IP address from segment A. Other than installing the printer driver with the appropriate printer IP on the XP machine is there anything else I will need to do?

The only needed access on segment A is just for the IP printer. Segment B is used for the internet, file sharing, VOIP, etc. for the XP machine. What other configuration will I have to do so XP doesn't try to use segment A for internet access etc. It seems like there would be some confusion within XP as to what IP/NIC it will use for what task.

Thanks, Jim

I have two separate network segments, both segments use Linksys routers. Segment A feeds the router for segment B (separate/different IP schemes). One XP machine on segment B would like to use a networked/IP addressable printer on segment A. I am going to install a 2nd NIC into the XP machine on segment B and assign it a static IP address from segment A. Other than installing the printer driver with the appropriate printer IP on the XP machine is there anything else I will need to do?

The only needed access on segment A is just for the IP printer. Segment B is used for the internet, file sharing, VOIP, etc. for the XP machine. What other configuration will I have to do so XP doesn't try to use segment A for internet access etc. It seems like there would be some confusion within XP as to what IP/NIC it will use for what task.

Thanks, Jim

Sorry for the confusion I'm new!!!
Here's what I have.

Segment A
192.168.2.1 Gateway DHCP on
255.255.255.0 Subnet
192.168.2.112 Shared Printer

Segment B
192.168.1.1 Gateway Router DHCP on
255.255.255.0 Subnet

I'm putting a second network card in a CPU on Segment B to access Segment A's Printer.
Both Segments have their own internet access and are in the same office.

1st NIC (existing) IP 192.168.1.100 (seg B)
Subnet 255.255.255.0
Default Gatway 192.168.1.1
DNS Server 192.168.1.1

2nd NIC (new) IP 192.168.2.120 (seg A)
Subnet 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.168.1.1
DNS Server 192.168.1.1

How does all of this look, I think I need to change the Subnet on the Printer:
Printer IP 192.168.2.112
Subnet 255.255.255.0 (current)
Subnet 255.255.0.0 (new)

I will manually assign the IP/Subnet/Gateway/DNS for the two network cards in the system.
My only confusion is the Subnets do they look correct? I only want to access Seg. A for the printer.

Thanks for the patience!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.