I'm not sure if this is possible but I want to hook up a wireless router to my Dell Inspiron 1721 laptop. I have a built in Verizon Broadband PC card, or something like that, to access the Internet. I have a router set up to my desktop but I want a way to have a wireless network when I travel so other systems such as my PS3 and iPod Touch can have their online features. Just to clear this up because many people have misunderstood what I'm trying to do, I'm not trying to connect my laptop to a wireless network, I'm trying to create a new wireless network with my laptop as the hub. If it's of any use I'm operating with Windows Vista.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I'm not sure about the Verizon card, or if its configurable with any other ISP. But if you already have a wireless router, all you need a a USB Wireless Adaptor or a PCMCIA Wireless Network card for the laptop.

Both are cheap, and will get you connected.

Ya but that seems like it will only connect my laptop to a network. I don't want that, I can already do that with what's built into the laptop. I want to be able to create a new network from the laptop.

so what you are trying to do is make your laptop the access point?

Exactly!!!! I'm not sure it's even possible but it will solve a lot of problems and save me some money.

i never heard of that being done before. not sure how to do it. sorry.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.