Hello all. I have a question about internet sharing. I have a wireless broandband Isp which connects to my dlink switch. I have 2 computers (WINXP Pro on both). But we cannot play the same multiplayer internet game (ex. BF1942) online at the same time. I am assuming it is because of the ports that the game uses can only be used by 1 computer. Is there any hardware or software setup that I can use? Web browsing works on both computers fine anytime, and 1 computer can play online by itself.

Thanks in advance,

12 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Coconut Monkey

I'm no expert in networking, but I'll endeavour to solve your problem.

First, some clarifications on your hardware setup.

• A wireless broadband isp? Do you have some kind of wireless access point to connect or a special modem?
  • Is the dlink "switch" some kind of all-in-one setup? What model is it?
  • Do both PCs connect to the "switch"? Cable or wireless?

Next, the network itself.

• How do the PCs connect to the network? Are they assigned IP addresses? Do you manually set them?
  • What are the assigned IP addresses? What are the gateway entries? Is the gateway address the address of the "switch"?
  • What happens exactly when you both try to connect to the same multiplayer games?
This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.