I bought a Linksys wireless G router a few months back and have tried several times to set it up, everything is plugged in correctly, and my modem is working but I am not getting internet service or Xbox live when I try to go through the router. I had a Netgear router before that, it worked for a couple of weeks then quit on me, I was told that Netgear was a poor brand and Linksys would be better. I think I have to go in and set my router up online, I'm not sure and I dont know how to do that.

Does anyone know what the problem is and how to fix it??
or
Does anyone know what that special code is to get my router online??

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Hello,

I think I ran into what is happening to you.

Do you have a separate DSL modem that connects for you using a user name and password. I could connect and use the internet if I was connected directly to the DSL modem but when I added the router I could net get anywhere. The router could ping and traceroute to sites but I could not connect. If so what I had to do was to change a setting in the modem to say that it was just a modem and the router was going to login to the PPOE connection. I then put the user and password in the router and set the connection for PPOE instead of DHCP and I was off and running.

Hello,

I think I ran into what is happening to you.

Do you have a separate DSL modem that connects for you using a user name and password. I could connect and use the internet if I was connected directly to the DSL modem but when I added the router I could net get anywhere. The router could ping and traceroute to sites but I could not connect. If so what I had to do was to change a setting in the modem to say that it was just a modem and the router was going to login to the PPOE connection. I then put the user and password in the router and set the connection for PPOE instead of DHCP and I was off and running.

Thank You Thank You Thank You!! I think I understand what the problem is now, but I'm not exactly computer savvy so I will have to follow you directions as best as I can. Whether I can or cant follow your instructions Thanks for your help!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.