Hey!

I'm trying to change over to a new router, but am having a bit of trouble in doing so. The new router I'm trying to use is a D-Link DIR-300, and my current one is a 3Com Officeconnect 11g: http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/detail.jsp?tab=features&pathtype=purchase&sku=3CRWE554G72T

I've swapped every cable from my old router to the corresponding ports on the new one, but for whatever reason, the new one can't seem to access the Internet. I have my modem connected to the correct port on the router, yet during the setup, when it gets around to checking my Internet connection, it simply gives the error message:

"A problem has occurred when trying to access the Internet. Please check your DSL/ Cable connection and verify your Internet connection settings"

I've switched back to the old router for the time being and everything's fine. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem might be?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Your old roter was probably logging in to the DSL network for you using PPP. Check in your old router setup for your login and password or contact your service provider and tell them you need the PPP login information for a new router you are installing.

Nah, my old router used a dynamic IP address (DCHP, is it?).

I never needed a login and password before, I think that was why?

You would still use DHCP but most DSL providers require a login to verify your account. Once set in the router you would only see it if you reset the router to factory settings or got a new router. Check with your service provider and I will bet you find out I am correct. The only other connection verification I have seen is using the MAC address of the modem for verification but that is not used that much any more because routers have the ability to set a false MAC address or use another cards address when connecting.

With some ISP's, when your connection is setup, it is based on the MAC address of the network adapter on the PC it was setup on. You need to clone the MAC address of your local PC on your router in order for the cable modem/gateway to accept WAN connections.

On your old router, check the config and see if it is setup to clone the MAC address of your PC. If it is, write down the MAC address and configure your new router to clone that MAC address.

Several things could cause your connectivity issue, this is just one of them.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.