A customer has called to let me know that they cannot see other computers or access the network. You ask the customer if there is a red X through the network icon in the notification area. The customer informs you that there is not. You then ask the customer if there are lights on the NIC (at the back of the PC) & if they are flashing. The customer informs you that they are on but not flashing. You also ask the customer to check if there are lights on the switch. The customer informs you that there are, but these are not flashing. What could be the cause/s of this problem? please help

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Reset the network, modem or router either one or all. Tell me what happens next. What is the network icon, a exclamation mark on the wireless sign or others. Can other customers see and connect to your network, is other people having the same problem,

welcome to daniweb

Sorry to say but I have no knowledge about the networking.

Hi vgulavni, congrats for being a part of daniweb. But is there any point to post just to tell others you have no prior knowledge to networking. I am confused

turn off the switch and turn on again... restart also the computer connected to it..

Some quick verification you can do:
- Identify the modem, router
- Check if cables are correctly plugged in
- Reset the modem. Sometimes is good to disconnect and reconnect power cable
- Check with your Internet Service provider
- Do not forget to test and check data cables, sometimes they can break and interrupt all services.

Nice advise computernetwork but next time post one is enough

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.