I have already installed and configured(for the most part) Windows Server 2008 R2 on a desktop here in my office. I need to have 2 agents from my remote office be able to remote desktop into my server. I'm new to Windows Server, and R.D.S. Any tips, suggestions, things to avoid? I want the easiest setup possible, i do not need any other special apps, just internet explorer. My father who manages servers said the only thing i would need to do is to enable Remote Desktop in Windows Server 2008, which is a 2 click process, and then make sure i had tcp port 3389 opened up on my router. Thanks everyone!

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Yes, your father is right. But ...
This is allowed only to users with Admin rights, and givin admin rights only to use IE appears to be risky.

If you want 2 normal users to use the server to navigate with IE, you will need to buy the Terminal Server Services license and CAL and install them.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the info, however they don't need to be admins. And I absolutely do not need terminal services, or the cal for it. I have two standard account users who can rd in just fine! Maybe this was a change in R2?

Maybe. But, please read here about the licensing required.

Sincerely

Straight from the link you posted:
Accessing RDS Functionality in Windows Server 2008 R2 with SP1

If you already own Windows Server 2008 R2 with SP1, to utilize the RDS functionality of the Windows Server software, you will need an incremental Remote Desktop Services Client Access License (RDS CAL) in addition to your Windows Server license and Windows Server Client Access License.

What I was trying to point out is that Remote Desktop Services is not the same as the Terminal Services. Im not even using it for a Terminal Server. Thank you for the info, since i originally posted this, I spoke with Microsoft myself who stated the same thing

I'm glad you get the right info.

Please be so kind to mark this thread as solved.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.