So, I have this filter at home which my parents installed so that i control my computer usage. The name of the software is "Blue Coat k9 web protection alert". I was ok with it for a few days but after observing for couple of weeks, it began to annoy me seriously. It blocked even the most basic sites like Google Images, facebook.com, twitter.com, youtube.com, etc which i regularly used. I told my parents but they said no to removing filter. SO guys, do you know of any methods to bypass these sorts of filters?
PS:- The methods like using proxy sites doesn't work(I have tried it before).
I also tried using Onion routing browser TOR but it blocked that too.
I wrote a small shell script which contiuously killed its process till it began to non respond. But when it non responds, it blocks all internet access, so that too was not successful. Pls tell me of any other method.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

So I use this at home on my kids :)

If you use a bootable Linux CD that has a browser, that will take care of the browsing issue since K9 wouldn't be running. Alternatively, install VM software and install a guest VM.

It would be best if you have a conversation with your parents to customize the K9 settings to allow some of the sites that are being blocked.

Install Linux in a virtual machine that uses bridged networking (so the VM gets a fresh DHCP address from the family router). Then, use that for web surfing. That should completely bypass the Windows filtering tools. Also, have you tried browsers other than IE, such as Firefox, Chrome, or Opera?

Maybe you can try to use encrypted connection to the proxy. If the application is watching your HTTP traffic and use this data to decide wheter to alow or not the traffic this can bypass it. (Its just an idea)

If you use a bootable Linux CD that has a browser, that will take care of the browsing issue since K9 wouldn't be running. Alternatively, install VM software and install a guest VM.

Thank you. It is a great help to me.

Also, have you tried browsers other than IE, such as Firefox, Chrome, or Opera?

Yes i have used all browsers that you have mentioned plus some other browsers too but it doesn't work.

Maybe you can try to use encrypted connection to the proxy. If the application is watching your HTTP traffic and use this data to decide wheter to alow or not the traffic this can bypass it

The filter doesn't allow me to access proxy servers and completely blocks access to all proxy sites.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.