Hello. I am new to Linux and, in effort to learn more, have undertaking a project I am not entirely sure is possible. What I want to do is use my computer (Ubuntu 12.04) to connect all devices in my house much like Windows Play Center (or whatever it is called). I would like my computer to be the "home base" for all media files so that the other devices can access them across the wireless network in the house. Here is a list of all the devices that I have:
My computer: Ubuntu 12.04 (connected directly to the modem)
-Everything else is wirelessly connected-
(3) Windows 7 computers
Pantech Burst
Samsung Galaxy SII
Sony Blu-Ray Player
X-Box 360
PS3
(2) Tablets (1 is an Asus, the other is TBD)

I am not sure if I am over-reaching in this project or not. If I am, please let me know. I don't "need" this to work, I am simply trying to learn as much as I can and have found that if I have a goal with multiple layers I fare better. I have found some guides but many are outdated (refer to Windows XP) or are written using GUI. I would really prefer to use the command line as this is, to me, the heart of Linux and why someone would choose it. I am trying to avoid using cloud storage (I know this is the easy way, but it teaches me very little) for the media files. If more information is needed, please let me know and I will gather whatever I can. Thank you for your assistance.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Thank you. Working on implementing them now.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.