If I wanted to host a game on let's say, Steam Counter-Strike, what setting to I need t use for port forwarding to let someone I know login using my routers IP address. I options are TCP/UDP, TCP, & UDP. Also, what should be my starting and ending ports? Thanks.

Re: port forwarding 80 80

You need to look that up with Steam for this game, or it may be configurable so you can set the port yourself, and then forward that. If the game only needs one outside-visible port, then the start-end points would be that one port. If the game can take both TCP and UDP connections, then depending upon the router, you may have to enable those separately, but using the same port.

Re: port forwarding 80 80

Also make sure your IP is static, this is a must for port forwaring. You can download third party software to port forward or do it in your routers settings, for example BT Home Hub have a port forward section in the network settings. This is a helpful post which you should follow for your game: http://www.pakgamers.com/forums/f16/%5Bguide%5D-port-forwarding-counter-strike-125671/

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of 1.19 million developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.