Hello All... I have an interesting problem with a WiFi laptop.

Its a Toshiba Satellite Notebook using ConfigFree. Using a D-Link 525 Wireless router. If I'm within 5 feet of the router, I am able to connect via WiFi with plenty of signal strength. BUT... when I move into another room, AND although I have (still) a strong signal (>36 Mbps), I am unable to connect to anything WiFi.

Although the signal strength is great, The only thing that I can see as a "potential" problem, is that the laptop does not have a IP address assigned.

Within the router WEP is used, but as mentioned, when close to the router, I have no connection issues... another room and no connection even though signal is great...

I've tested this router with another laptop, and all works fine... fully realize that this is a setting issue, but have no idea what that may be.

Any ideas???

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Hello All... I have an interesting problem with a WiFi laptop.

Its a Toshiba Satellite Notebook using ConfigFree. Using a D-Link 525 Wireless router. If I'm within 5 feet of the router, I am able to connect via WiFi with plenty of signal strength. BUT... when I move into another room, AND although I have (still) a strong signal (>36 Mbps), I am unable to connect to anything WiFi.

Although the signal strength is great, The only thing that I can see as a "potential" problem, is that the laptop does not have a IP address assigned.

Within the router WEP is used, but as mentioned, when close to the router, I have no connection issues... another room and no connection even though signal is great...

I've tested this router with another laptop, and all works fine... fully realize that this is a setting issue, but have no idea what that may be.

Any ideas???

Could be due to the WEP; try turning it off (temporarily) to see if it changes anything. Also, you can usually adjust signal strength in the router config page. Or, your laptop may have a crappy wireless card. :rolleyes:

I haven't turned off WEP yet, so I'll give that a try. As to boosting the signal strength within the router, thats a moot point since I have a strong signal when on (close to router) and even far away (more than 10' away). As to the wireless card, this tosheba has a built-in wifi card (integrated), so if that's it, then it needs to be factory returned... not something I want to do quickly.

I'll try WEP changes, including changing the station ID from default (6) to something else, and post a reply.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.