Hi, I'm the newbie on the block so I hope I've come to the right place. My wireless won't stay connected. It disconnects everytime the phone rings. D-link told me this is the problem, however I've put that phone away and use the wired one and still the same problem. I've changed channels as well. There is someone in the neighborhood with Linksys and I keep connecting there. If this person put a password on would that stop interference or only my connecting to it. I hope someone has some great advice-this has gone on for a couple of years now!

WOW a couple of years.
Standard 802.11b&g WiFi operates on the 2.4Ghz radio frequency, the same frequency that many cordless phones use. There is always a chance that a cordless phone may interfere in your WiFi access point. EMF (electro-magnetic fields) can also interfere. Things like fluorescent lights and microwaves can cause havoc.
Other possibilities are wireless access points in the area that are broadcasting on the same channel as yours. The overlap will cause intermittent connectivity problems. That is easily solved by logging into the wireless device/router and changing the channel. There are only 3 non-overlapping channels available to b&g AP's, 1, 6, and 11.
You had mentioned that you were having connectivity problems even when connected via ethernet cable to the router. That would indicate possibly a problem with your internet service provider, router, or hardware/software problems on your PC.
Things to watch for… Is there some sort of weather condition happening at the time of you problems? Cold and wet weather does not like old POTS lines (DSL) or coax (cable).
Good luck.
If you have more questions please feel free to email me at jvanark@gmail.com

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.