Hey everyone, i have a westel 327w and am having trouble setting up a password for it so only the people in my house can accsess the internet. anyhelp? thanks alot.

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Password? Or do you mean a WEP- an encryption key that only allows people who know the key to access the network.

go to run... type in cmd, click ok.
type ipconfig and press enter.
look at the # to the right of Default gateway.
type your "default gateway" number into the address bar in your web browser.
it will probably be something like 192.168.1.254 or 192.168.1.1 depending on your ISP.
If you have already configured the router for internet access, then just click on "configuration" otherwise, go through the steps to configure it according to your ISP's instructions, then click on configuration.
then wireless.
Then go down to privacy settings. Pick which encryption type to use ( I recomened oWPA-PSK or TKIP) if that doesn't fly with your laptop (or other wifi stuff) then pick the highest encyption meathod that all of your wireless devices are capable of (like WEP) 64-bit, 128-bit or 256-bit. Most devices use 64 and 128 bit, but if all of your devices use 256, then use it.
Then create a wireless key to use. If key select is selected,
the WPA key can be any random string of up to 63 characters (with the possible exception of blank spaces)
the WEP Key is treated as a string of text characters, and the number of characters must be either 5 (for 64-bit encryption) or 13 (for 128-bit encryption) or 29 (for 256-bit encryption).
If not selected, the WEP key is treated as a string of hexadecimal characters, and the number of characters must be either 10 (for 64-bit encryption), 26 (for 128-bit encryption), or 58 (for 256-bit encryption).
The only allowable hexadecimal characters for WEP (hex) are 0-9 and A-F. (My hint is to use hexadecimal, it is eaiser) If you want a truley random password go to this site (passwords) and select which one you want to use, then copy and paste it into the correct key box(es)

save the settings and type the same key into the NETWORK KEY boxes that windows should present you with.

if you have trouble connecting after all this you may need to goto the properties of your wireless connection and delete your preferred networks list, then try again.

omg i have a westell 317w to and i am trying to comfigure it but i dont eben know the pass cna you hlpe me?

Westal default admin login details
User ID admin Password password
or
User ID admin Password sysAdmin

(These default passwords should ALWAYS be changed, otherwise whats the point of an encryption key, if anyone can login to the admin)

Hope that gets you into admin. If not you should read the manual for default login details. Also If nothing has been setup previously (port forwards/firewall rules) and the router is second hand, it might be worth a reset incase a previous owner has changed them, although you might have to setup devices again. (should be a button on it somewhere)

commented: Good advice :) +11

Password? Or do you mean a WEP- an encryption key that only allows people who know the key to access the network.

an encryption key

how do i put a password to a belkins router? plz help
i have the windows 7 and the settings are kind of different

how do i put a password to a belkins router? plz help
i have the windows 7 and the settings are kind of different

check Belkin paper work or Google Belkin set up facts. BTW posting in a 4 month old thread is like sitting in the back yard wondering why nobody walking past front of house notices you. Best to start new thread in proper forum.Later---

hi, i have a similar question, but before i need to explain my concern... for a week my internet stop working - suddenly! I've looked at all websites and forums, and this is probably 'cause of an update on my windows vista. I have internet, although when i do cmd: ping www....... and call the ping of microsoft website, it doesn't work. All other websites works!!! Well, the thing is, I have no internet since last friday and then i bought a wireless router - i have internet through a wired router, but it's from my flatmade. As the internet service is from her, and she has the password and everything, and she really wasn't so keen neither to change her wired router to a wireless one, nor to give me her datas, i did this connection: from the wired router of my flatmade (where internet comes) - i plug a cable to my wireless router (in a LAN entrance)- and then i have wireless internet on my laptop! This would be perfect, if i wouldn't have problems to set my password... The thing is that I cannot set my password for my wireless router, because, when i go to the netgear website, they show me all the datas from the internet provider of my flatmade, which i'm not suppose to use it or change it... So, how can i set my password for my wireless router using the same modem that my flatmade has? I'm affraid to change anything of her connection, and have more prolbems! I hope you understand this long history... and i hope you can help me... cause i don't think is safe surfing without any password... thank you very much!

Thanks for sharing!!!
<Spam sig removed>

hey i need to know what is the netgear security

This thread is convoluted >_<

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.