I just bought a Netgear RT314 to replace my linksys WRT54G v3 router (which can't keep up with the amount of traffic i was putting on it). My ISP is WildBlue (satellite internet). The problem is that the netgear router will not obtain an IP from the SM (satellite modem). The internet/link light comes on, as does the network light on the SM.

When i plug the netgear router into my linksys router, the netgear router obtains an ip, and the linksys gets an ip from the modem.

I don't get what is wrong? I tried upgrading the firmware, and i also downgraded to the original firmware.

Everything works fine on the LAN end of things. My computers all get an ip just fine. It just will not get a WAN ip!

I have a lot of experience with computers, but i am new to networking.

When i type "ipconfig" at the cmd prompt (windows xp) with only the linksys router hooked up, this is what i get:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : wildblue.com
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

notice that the "connection-specific DNS suffix says "Wildblue.com"

but when i use the netgear router, i get something similar to this:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

notice there is nothing for a connection-specific DNS suffix...

:confused:

any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Ok, problem solved. I asked on another forum (as i was getting no answers here... :p). The problem was (according to Aaron of aaroncake.net) that i wasn't powering down my satellite modem when switching routers. This was a problem because the SM wouldn't communicate with the netgear's MAC address.

Thanks anyways!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.