Ok, so I'm trying to bridge two wireless routers together. one router is some wierd brand, and it's currently the only router on the network. I have a WGT624 netgear router that is in a separate network and i'm trying to bridge it to the other one, or at least make it an access point. Can i make the netgear router an access point? and if i can, does it have to be connected to the other router by a network cable?

or can i bridge the two together? and how?

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

I can definitely bridge with the two Drayteks I've got. But the Netgear WGT624 manual avoids all reference to the technique other than providing a generic description of what APs and Briding mean.

Your WGT624 is an AP in Infrastructure Mode and thus what you might accomplish possibly lies in the abilities of the "wierd" router.

I don't believe the WGT624 supports WDS, which is what is required if you want to form a wireless link between the two units. I think this is what you are referring to when you say bridging. I don't believe you can make the netgear router an access point, but you may be able to make the "wierd router" act as a client bridge and make it a client of the router, thus connecting the two units that way.

jmm123 is right (and wrong-ish in a small way IMHO). The solution he proposes is what I'm suggesting, but we know jack about your "wierd" router.

The minor difference of opinion I have with jmm123 is that the WGT123 is indeed an AP when working in the Infrastructure mode otherwise it wouldn't connect wirelessly with the client; but that's being pedantic although the Netgear manual actually shows the router in this mode as an AP.

I gave up using Netgear stuff; it was noddy and I had real problems with the Range Extender kit.

Draytek for me. One of the things I really like about the Draytek kit is that the routers can accept two WAN sources (I have ADSL and DSL), and one of those sources can be the USB based 3G modem. Damn useful.

Yes, When the router is in infrastructure mode technically it does have AP functionality, but I still do not believe it supports WDS. I agree with Suspishio the Draytek kit would probably be a better solution.

ok thanks guys.
I guess I need to be a bit more specific. the "weird" router was provided by the isp, so I don't know what brand it is. It's actually my neighboor's router. What I'm trying to do is make my netgear router a client or of the other router so that they talk to each other. Let's say there's a way to make the netgear a client, would it be possible to share resources/internet connection to the computers in my network?

if this doesn't work, I'll get a lynksis router which i've heard have a lot more options. do you think this will will work with linksys?

The Netgear router cannot be put in AP client mode.

What you are gong to need to get a an ethernet wireless bridge to connect to your neighbor's router. You can then connect your Netgear's WAN(internet) port to the bridge if you wish to isolate your network from his, or you can just connect your network straight to the wireless bridge to make it all one network. Linksys makes a WET54g Wireless Ethernet bridge which should work.

Or if you prefer to have all the functionality in one box you can get a Ruckus unit which can act as both a client and a AP router.

Another option is to build your own using
DD-WRT. Many ways to do it, its just not going to work with a standard wireless router. Need AP client functionality.

I'm quite certain that the el cheapo ISP router will have absolutely no additional functionality for you to use. So I'd knock that one on the head.

Your WGT624, being an AP, can serve to another device capable of forwarding that service.

But if you are thinking of Linksys, then my advice is for both of you to use Linksys equipment and bridge with the WAP54G Access Point. But I'm not the Linksys expert being a Draytek fan.

I know the cheap router can accept ap's and stuff, so i'm thinking of getting a linksys router and putting dd-wrt on it. would this work?

I think I've given you the best advice I can. We have no idea about the "Weird" router and so can't possibly advise on whether or not what you propose will work.

Maybe another brainio on the forum can second-gues the "weird" router.

I hope I've been of some help to you.

It would probably work, but why not just get a wireless bridge for a little more and be done with it. Less time spent and hassle, unless you are looking to learn a little more about dd-wrt. As for the cheap router, as long as you can connect to it with a standard wireless client, it should work fine. Provided that the SSID and security settings match.

As for the WAP54G, I know it supports wireless repeating, but not sure if it requires that the other unit also be a Linksys. That is why I recommended the WET54g, it doesn't have any limitations on connectivity, but then again it will only function as a client and not an AP.

Good Luck!

....As for the WAP54G, I know it supports wireless repeating, but not sure if it requires that the other unit also be a Linksys....

... which is why a recommended a pair of Linksys routers.

And THAT was because the best description we've got of the other router is the word "weird"!

i'm trading my netgear router for a linksys, so i dont' have to spend more money.

I tell you what - my experience has ALWAYS been that the cash follows the cause!

Never have I found a minimum cost solution to anything of this type!

Let us know how you make out.

i agree with Suspishio, minimum can sometimes cost your more in the long run. Also, which Linksys are you going to buy and how are you going to use it to solve your problem?

i'm not buying another router, i'm trading my netgear for it. I'm puttin wrt-dd or whatever it's called on it. I know it'll have more options available.

i'm trading my netgear for it....

You're trading less for more. Good luck anyway!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.