I was copying and deleting some files on my mp3/mp4 player and all my files (songs and videos) have all disappeared, but i know they still exist on my mp3 player because my memory usage hasn't changed. Does anyone know how to fix this? Would defragmenting the player on my computer work?
Sorry i don't know what brand it is because i bought it on ebay.
Can anybody plz help???:-|

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

Hmmm. The only thing I can think of is enabling hidden folders to go look for them in the drive itself.

Just be careful, when hidden files are enabled, the system folders will be there (in the C: drive). Don't touch anything in there.

1. Close all programs so that you are at your desktop.
2. Double-click on the "My Computer" icon.
3. Select the "Tools" menu and click "Folder Options".
4. After the new window appears select the "View" tab.
5. Place a checkmark in the checkbox labeled "Display the contents of system folders."
6. Under the "Hidden files and folders" section select the radio button labeled "Show hidden files and folders."
7. Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled "Hide file extensions for known file types."
8. Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled "Hide protected operating system files."
9. Press the "Apply" button and then the "OK" button and close My Computer.

unfortunately that didn't do the trick. but i was thinking of downloading a hard drive data recovery software

Hogsmeade2000, did you find your answer? The same thing just happened to my keychain drive (PNY 1GB). The old files take up space, but they are invisible. I can see new files just fine.

Ok if you can't see the files in your mp3 or mp4 why don't your try the "recuva" software??? it is capable of recovering files. ill give you the link
http://www.recuva.com/download
check it if it can be of some help then tell me..

i have the same problem with my mp3 player. i have tested some data recovery programs and the "show hidden fils and folders" option. but still i cant find the files.
I have search the net and find that many people have the same problem but no one seems to have an answer.
the problem is like this. I have put in some files on my mp3 that takes like 800 mb of memory. then one day, the files have disappered and cant be found. but if i go to properties i can see that the files are there and the 800 mb of memory is still in use?
I have tested to start and and shut of the mp3 in different ways several times but still no result.
as many other people asking out there..
...WHAT SHOULD I DO?

My Mp3 Player has the same issue...you have to format it which usually means going to the My computer right clicking on the drive and pressing format drive. unfortunately I'm condemned because i have a mac and it doesn't do that!

I have a mac too but unfortunately i do not have a mp3. When you plug the mp3 into your mac did you see the mp3 drive on the desktop. if not go to disk utility. Type disk utility on the spotlight and search. CLick on it. At the left side did you see your mp3 name there. Try it

Well did anyone try it with different OS?
It too once happened to me when my music content in my pendrive suddenly gone but when I inserted it into at least 3 mp3 players, it worked as it should be...

It happen on window xp but when i open pendrive in ubuntu os, all files are there, no hidden stuff and all.

I supposed there's an error so I checked my pendrive with chkdsk in windows and voila, it's readable again...

Ya I see the Drive just when i click on it nothing appears in the Drive but yet it says all of my space is taken up! :(

That means you file is hidden. Try unhiding it. You are using a mac right or other OS? If you are using mac follow the below steps
Check whether your files are there in the mp3 player

1) Go to disk utility. If you do not know how, press command and spacebar then type disk utility
2) At the left side of the windows they will show you the external or internal hard disk name. Select your MP3 card, click on it and see how many files are stored inside there. If they are files there that means your file is hidden.

If you have nothing important or you do not want the music anymore you can format the mp3 player card.

1) Go disk utility and select the card name. Click on erase and you are done

Scan whether a virus is hiding your files

1) Use your antivirus program and scan the mp3 card. If you do not have one. Download ClamXav from the website and scan it.

Try repairing the card

1) Disk utility have this function. Go there and you will know how to do it.

I don't know how to find the missing folders, but if you're using windows 7 just search for .mp3 (or any other formats) in the root folder, you'll see all the disappeared files. Just cut and paste it in a different folder. I think this happens if there is a virus in your drive.
Hope I helped

Evene worse (?), I tried copying files from my old MP3 onto my new MP3. Some 'invisible' files would not copy. I know they are there, because I can listen to them.

Filesystem Corruption?

If its just a normal drive, try using Recuva (by piriform). I used it to restore my HDD after I accidently formatted it.

You shouldn't defragment the player, go to find a data recovery software to help you. The Kvisoft File Recovery Software helped me sometime back, please try it.

recover it using file recovery software there are hundreds of them available and mostly are free.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.