I am not as familiar with RAM as I would like to be...I want to upgrade the RAM in my PC. I have a Dell that uses PC3200 400MHZ ram. Can I use any brand PC3200 RAM or do I have to use RAM that indicated it is for a DELL?

Thank for the help!
bazeball_fan :twisted:

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

if you use memory that's not bought from Dell, it might void the warranty there. otherwise, any other memory that fits the specs will work

if you use memory that's not bought from Dell, it might void the warranty there. otherwise, any other memory that fits the specs will work

Thanks! Warranty is long gone, so that is not an issue.

Also consider using this website:
http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/loader.aspx?Agree=Yes
Download the scanner, run it and you will see what types of RAM you can use with your machine, and how much each slot can take. You can buy RAM from crucial as well if you want to.

i use the scan and it says i have 2 -512mb pc3200 true ,it says i have, 1024mb -true
but says maximum memory capacity is 524288 MB can this be true 5 hundred and 24 thousand megs of ram!!

You using IE or Firefox caperjack? Try it with the other browser, IE can run it in the browser itself, Firefox needs the download.

You using IE or Firefox caperjack? Try it with the other browser, IE can run it in the browser itself, Firefox needs the download.

okI used ie6 to do it ,loaded the activex and it said max 512 ,installed 1024,now i had two 1 gig stick in last week.
i think my motherbaord says it takes up to 4 gig .

If you have 4 RAM slots, and your motherboard is fairly new, it would support up to 4Gb i think. But you can't obviously use 4Gb of RAM unless you have the right OS that supports it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.