My Vaio laptop (model VGN-FS742/W) will not power up and does not show that the battery is charging.

I was using it and the battery was getting low (but not too low that it was going to shut down). I pluged in the AC power cable and the laptop just went dark. I thought maybe the battery was lower then I thought. But it would not come back up. Nothing I have done has got even a hint of power of any kind.

I confirmed that the AC power adaptor is working and making the voltage it should be with a multimeter. I also used that AC power adp. to power up a diffrent Vaio and it worked fine.

This machine is like my right hand so any help on this would be great.

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Unplug it. Try pulling the battery. Then put the battery back in and plug it in again and see if that does it. I've had a couple of Vaios laptops over the years, and although it's been some time, I seem to recall resolving a similar issue in this fashion. Good luck.

Thank you sir for your responce. I did try that with no luck.

I was told a failed battery may cause this problem. But as of yet I have not ordered one. I want to be somewhat sure before spending $120.

Thanks again

Was worth a shot. After re-reading your original post it makes sense that it's a dead battery issue, and being a Sony, it's of course expensive to replace. Ah well, you have to do what you have to do. Good luck.

Got new battery and it did not fix the problem. It was worth a try. I guess I am going to have to cut a big check to get it fixed.

Thanks for all the info. I will post back when it is fixed with what the problem was.

Got new battery and it did not fix the problem. It was worth a try. I guess I am going to have to cut a big check to get it fixed.

Thanks for all the info. I will post back when it is fixed with what the problem was.

I have the same problem, I eliminated the battery, and A/C charger. The problem is in the machine, apparently between the connection and the motherboard.

I was wondering what you did to fix this problem.

Thnx

If you have already replaced the battery and power brick, then try removing the hard drive, optical drive, and one memory module, and see if it will boot to BIOS. If so, replace each removed componet one at time. Try powering up the machine after each part is reinstalled, until you find the part that is defective. If your laptop does not start after removing the parts listed above, you have a defective motherboard. Probably a blown capacitor.

Hi Stig, were you able to resolve your problem? I am facing also exactly the same problem with my sony vaio e series. I already tried a new battery and charger. It still doesn't start up.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.