Hello all, I'm putting together a cheap computer, here is a couple of the things i have,
a GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P mobo, AMD Phenom II X2 550 processor, and G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) ram.
My question is, I believe that i saw somewhere that the 550 can only do Ram at like 1333, is this right? I don't know where to look to see if this is the case or too much about Ram. Will my setup not run the Ram at 1600? Any help and explanations will be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

This is what "they" are saying online:

Socket AM3 versions of the Phenom II are backwards-compatible with Socket AM2+, though this is contingent on motherboard manufacturers supplying BIOS updates. In addition to the Phenom II's pin compatibility, the AM3 memory controller supports both DDR2 and DDR3 memory (up to DDR2-1066 and DDR3-1333), allowing existing AM2+ users to upgrade their CPU without changing the motherboard or memory. However, similar to the way the original Phenom handled DDR2-1066, current Phenom II platforms limit the usage of DDR3-1333 to one DIMM per channel; otherwise, the DIMMs are underclocked to DDR3-1066. AMD claims that this behavior is due to the BIOS, not the memory controller, and plans to address it with a BIOS update. The dual-spec memory controller also gives motherboard manufacturers and system builders the option of pairing AM3 with DDR2 to reduce overall system cost, as compared to competing chips from Intel, which require DDR3.

The data sheet for phenom processors is here: http://support.amd.com/us/Processor_TechDocs/46878_Phenom_II_PDS_3.04_PUB.pdf

There is also a decent article on Tom's Hardware that I didn't have the attention span to read through all the way.

cool, thank you for responding.

Hi
I have 4 512 DDR2 pc3200 ecc and 4 512 DDR2 pc3200 non ecc that I want to swap for 2 2 Go DDR1 pc 3200
contact me asap on 07916714525 in london

His specs:
-GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
-G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ
-AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black Processor Model HDZ720WFGIBOX
-GIGABYTE GV-NX98X1GHI-B GeForce 9800 GX2 1GB (512MB per GPU) 512-bit (256-bit per GPU) GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready
-Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders
-Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
-Sony Optiarc 24X DVD/CD Rewritable Drive Black SATA Model AD-7240S-0B
-OCZ StealthXStream OCZ700SXS 700W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply
-SAMSUNG T240HD Rose-Black 24" 5ms HDMI Widescreen HDTV Monitor

First time we started the computer after installing Windows 7 the screen blinked for a split second, the mouse froze and the screen began blinking on and off every few seconds and forced us to manually restart. You can see things are still loading, programs are still running but you cannot move the mouse. The only way to start windows without a freeze was in safe mode.

In safe mode I was able to install the video card drivers from the CD and after installing them and restarting everything worked fine. After another restart without changing anything it goes back to freezing.
We have since installed Windows XP 32-Bit with no problems, this only happens in Windows 7 64-Bit.

I am wondering what could be the conflict, it seems like it must be a video card driver problem because when we uninstall the drivers in safe mode (when it would be otherwise freezing in normal mode) it will *sometimes* start normally with no freezing, until we install any video card drivers. I have tried the following drivers with no luck (these all work in XP-32 bit though):

-Drivers off of the CD that came with the video card
-http://www.gigabyte.pk/Support/VGA/Driver_Model.aspx?ProductID=2792#anchor_os
-http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_195.62_whql.html (GeForce 9 Series Drivers)

I know that the motherboard does not support SLI so I am thinking maybe that's what the problem is in Windows 7 since by default it starts in Multi-GPU mode? I have been unsuccessful in testing this because every time I have tried to disable Multi-GPU mode the Nvidia Control Panel has stopped responding. (This must be tried after the restart following the installation of the Gigabyte/Nvidia drivers, any restart after that results in a freeze.) I have successfully disabled Multi-GPU mode in Windows XP 32-Bit.

Any help and any ideas would be greatly appreciated, we have no idea where to go from here.

Thank you for your suggestions.screen blinking problem solving method is really good.
It is really good site &gives good information.
Thank you...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.