Hi everyone,

I recently bought a Gamers PC and I'm very happy with it, however I'm wondering about the transfer rate of the RAM, and not too sure if it's good enough... I'm running Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit, and the specs are as follows :

- Radeon HD 5770 1024MB GDDR5
- INTEL Core i7-860 (4x 2,80GHz) 8MB 4,8GT/sec Box SLBJJ
- 4,00 GB HYNIX SAMSUNG DDR-3 PC1600
- 500GB SATA-2 HDD 7200rpm
- Gigabyte GA-H55M-USB3, H55 EXPRESS (dual PC3-10667U DDR3)

Now I went on Wikipedia and from what I understand, PC 1600 is the highest standard of DDR3 ram? Is that correct? I remember the highest being PC 3200 for DDR2...

I decided to check out my mobo's specs on the Gigabyte website, here : http://gigabyte.com.tw/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3444#sp

And apparently it supports DDR3 2200+/1800/1600/1333/1066/800 MHz memory modules.

Is there really a DDR3 PC 2200+ ? Or am I confusing transfer rate with Mhz...

Thanks for the help,

-Rich

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Hi everyone,

I decided to check out my mobo's specs on the Gigabyte website, here : http://gigabyte.com.tw/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3444#sp

And apparently it supports DDR3 2200+/1800/1600/1333/1066/800 MHz memory modules.

Is there really a DDR3 PC 2200+ ? Or am I confusing transfer rate with Mhz...

Thanks for the help,

-Rich

im not a ram expert fur sure but i read this in you link .

* "To reach DDR3 2200 MHz and above, you are required to use with Intel Core i7/Core i5 CPU without HD Graphics and install a discrete graphics card."

so if you want good graphics you will not be able to use the pc2200+
and there does seem to be pc3 2200 ,higher i think would be achieved by overclocking the ram .
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3233/kingmax_hercules_pc3_17600_2200mhz_4gb_kit/index2.html

im not a ram expert fur sure but i read this in you link .

* "To reach DDR3 2200 MHz and above, you are required to use with Intel Core i7/Core i5 CPU without HD Graphics and install a discrete graphics card."

so if you want good graphics you will not be able to use the pc2200+
and there does seem to be pc3 2200 ,higher i think would be achieved by overclocking the ram .
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3233/kingmax_hercules_pc3_17600_2200mhz_4gb_kit/index2.html

So my ram is not so bad then? I mean I can't exactly afford to pay 200$ for one stick of 2GB... That's a bit overboard lol

I've still got 2 slots of RAM left however, maybe I should look into buying 2 more sticks.

Would I be able to use 2 x 2GB and 2 x 4 GB ? Would that configuration work?

Thank you

your motherboard manual should show what combination of ram you can use ,but my knowledge with ram ,i would say yes, it likely will work,but you would not be able to use Dual Chanel mode because of the two differed sizes 2 gig and 4 gig

ram info from your manual.!

1-4 Installing the MemoryDual Channel Memory Configurations Table
(SS=Single-Sided, DS=Double-Sided, "- -"=No Memory)
Due to CPU limitations, read the following guidelines before installing the memory in Dual Channel mode.
1. Dual Channel mode cannot be enabled if only one DDR3 memory module is installed.
2. When enabling Dual Channel mode with two or four memory modules, it is recommended that memory of the same capacity, brand, speed, and chips be used for optimum performance. When enabling Dual Channel mode with two memory modules, be sure to install them in the DDR3_1 and DDR3_3 sockets.
Read the following guidelines before you begin to install the memory:
• Make sure that the motherboard supports the memory. It is recommended that memory of the same capacity, brand, speed, and chips be used.
(Go to GIGABYTE's website for the latest supported memory speeds and memory modules.)
• Always turn off the computer and unplug the power cord from the power outlet before installing the memory to prevent hardware damage.
• Memory modules have a foolproof design. A memory module can be installed in only one direction. If you are unable to insert the memory, switch the direction.
If only one DDR3 memory module is installed, be sure to install it in the DDR3_1 or DDR3_3 sockets.
1-4-1 Dual Channel Memory Configuration
This motherboard provides four DDR3 memory sockets and supports Dual Channel Technology. After the memory is installed, the BIOS will automatically detect the specifications and capacity of the memory. Enabling Dual Channel memory mode will double the original memory bandwidth.
The four DDR3 memory sockets are divided into two channels and each channel has two memory sockets as following:Channel 0: DDR3_2, DDR2_1Channel 1: DDR3_4, DDR3_3
DDR3_2

to CPU limitations, read the following guidelines before installing the memory in Dual Channel mode.
1. Dual Channel mode cannot be enabled if only one DDR3 memory module is installed.
2. When enabling Dual Channel mode with two or four memory modules, it is recommended that memory of the same capacity, brand, speed, and chips be used for optimum performance. When enabling Dual Channel mode with two memory modules, be sure to install them in the DDR3_1 and DDR3_3 sockets.
Read the following guidelines before you begin to install the memory:
• Make sure that the motherboard supports the memory. It is recommended that memory of the same capacity, brand, speed, and chips be used.
(Go to GIGABYTE's website for the latest supported memory speeds and memory modules.)
• Always turn off the computer and unplug the power cord from the power outlet before installing the memory to prevent hardware damage.
• Memory modules have a foolproof design. A memory module can be installed in only one direction. If you are unable to insert the memory, switch the direction.
If only one DDR3 memory module is installed, be sure to install it in the DDR3_1 or DDR3_3 sockets.

Thanks for the info!

So I guess I should find 2 more 2GB sticks... Meaning I'd have 8GB total memory - not bad!

I'm guessing this is not indispensable but however good to have?

-Rich

P.S.

Do you play Project Reality Caperjack? I have the impression I saw you on a server earlier today.

P.S.

Do you play Project Reality Caperjack? I have the impression I saw you on a server earlier today.

no! not me

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.