Just replaced motherboard, cpu, ram. Knew enough to set bios to cd/rom to first. Now it won't boot up, won't start windows normally, and won't go into safe mode. It just repeatedly restarts. Other info: using the old ide cable from cd to hdd to motherboard. Asus manual recommends a 500w power supply-currently using the old 300w.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Could you provide specs?

Just replaced motherboard, cpu, ram. Knew enough to set bios to cd/rom to first. Now it won't boot up, won't start windows normally, and won't go into safe mode. It just repeatedly restarts. Other info: using the old ide cable from cd to hdd to motherboard. Asus manual recommends a 500w power supply-currently using the old 300w.[/QUOTE
you need to supply more info as stated, explain every thing you have done from start to finish, including the specs of old m/b and new, has the h/d a fresh copy of windows etc.
i am second guessing but did you just connect your existing h/d to the new m/b and try to boot machine? why did you set cd to first, unless you want to install op system from disc at boot, i set boot from h/d [0] first, it boots quicker, buts thats my opinion anyway. try disconnecting cd drive ide cable and then boot, obviously it will not find that drive, see if it boots as normal. have you backed up data on your h/d before you started this upgrade, if the data is important to you i suggest make that priority one, then continue with upgrade of machine. hope some of this helps.

Windows does not transfer to new hardware well. If you changed the processor type (Intel to AMD ) or went to a multi-core from a single core you will have to repair the windows installation to continue. Your problem is coming from windows loading drivers specific to your old mother board and CPU without confirming they are present.

Boot from your installation CD and go through the steps till you get the SECOND request concerning repairing windows. At that point tell it you want to repair the installation and it will delete and reload all of the drivers resetting all of the values in the registry for them. If it completes successfully you should be able to boot to your old user name and have all of your apps and documents intact.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.