Im building my own custom pc and I just finished getting all the parts and putting it together. I turned it on for the first time today and...the cd rom will not open, or even look like it is powering up. Right now it's the only cd device in the case, and I have 1 hard drive. So the setup Im using is IDE. Im pretty sure all the jumpers are connected correctly, and I know that the power cords work because all the fans and everything work. I have the cd rom connected to the secondary IDE port, and the jumper set on master. Any ideas why it won't turn on or work? Thanks in advance everyone!

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

You connected the IDE cable, but did you connect a power molex to the drive?

Also, check the SMPS is giving proper power to the CD Drive. Is the power connector plugged in tightly? I've seen quite a lot of times that because of a loose plug, the 5V line is powered, leading to the drive being detected and all LEDs glowing, but the 12V line isn't connected. As a result, the motor doesn't spin.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.