OK, so I've got a Gateway FX P-7805u laptop with power up issues. Here's the whole story:
One day, even though the laptop itself was plugged into the wall, when I hovered on the battery indicator, the windows 7 notification said "plugged in, not charging" and the battery was stuck at around 20%. I did some research, and found what looked like a fix for the problem. Basically, uninstall the battery drivers in the control panel, then shut down and power up. I did so, but when I went to power up, nothing would happen. I tried all the obvious things, unplugging, holding down the power button for a minute with no battery or power, etc... and nothing would to turn it on. However, when the battery is in, and it is plugged in via the AC adapter, the battery charge light turns on.
Eventually, in my troubleshooting, I got to this point. When I disconnect the cmos battery, and reconnect it, with no power connected to the laptop, then plug in the power to the laptop, it immediately powers up, without pushing any buttons or anything, and everything runs just fine... BUT, I can then not turn off the laptop by pressing the power button itself, no matter how long I hold it down or how many times I press it. The power button seems to do nothing at all. I can then shut down the computer, by going through the start menu, and after it has been shut down, the only way to get it to power on again, is by disconnecting the cmos battery, reconnecting, and then plugging it in.
I have taken additional troubleshooting steps since then also, I took off the plate with the power button board on it,re-seated the zif connectors, to no avail. I connected up a continuity tester to the two small solder spots on the sides of the power button on the bottom of the board, and when I press it, it does make a connection(I had originally thought it was that power board), but I don't know enough about electronics at this point to go any further.
It's really frustrating to be so close... knowing how to turn it on, and having it actually work perfectly once it's on, yet not having a clue which part to replace to get it working again. I think it could easily be the motherboard, just having a problem interpreting the power switch signal too.
Anyway, any insights or help would be much appreciated.