Hello I have a Samsung VM8000 with windows 98 as an operating system. When I put any audio or installation disc's in the cd rom drive its reads it and an orange light flashing up on the cd drive which obviously means that it is reading the disc, when suddenly the orange light just stops flashing and stays on!!?? I am a bit confused here as it reads DVD's perfectly!

Please help me...

Thanks,
Daniel

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Every DVD drive has 2 sets of lens. One for CDs and one for DVDs. Obviously, CD lens are damaged or dirty. You might try the lens cleaner CD.

Thanks for the advice but I have one of those, but just to make sure it is the right one.. it is called a DVD lens cleaner which won't be read in the drive. But would I need the one called CD lens cleaner? sorry for being a pain but when it comes to pc's im useless!!
Thanks,
Daniel

Hello Again, I have found out the problem following your advice! It is damaged :-(.
Is there anyway that I can get the lens fixed?
This would be such a big help.
Thank you.

CD or DVD lens cleaner would do the same.

If it is damaged, then the only way to "fix" it is to replace the device. When it comes to the laptops, DVD burner is proprietary piece o hardware due to the shape of the tray, so you'll be forced to order one from Samsung. (that is, if they still manufacture those particular DVD burners). Or you can go to the Samsung-licensed service shop and let them worry about getting a new piece for an old laptop (all for the $$$)

Chaky...you beat me to the response. I agree, it would not be cost effective to repair the drive.

... and there are very few ppl in the world that would actually REPAIR damaged lenses.

Thanks you 2!! So basicly it would be better if i get a new laptop?

Thanks for all your help, but I got another problem with it!!!
I did have power dvd on the system and i tried changing the screen size so i cud watch the DVD's.. but the problem is it changed the whole screen to big!! then my friend (wish i never took his advice) told me to unistall the power dvd so the settings would change back to normal. But when i try to go to properties in the display the slider dosent move so im stuck, is there any way of changing it back to its default settings?

Daniel.

an old win98 thinkpad of mine does this too. I think its a firmware issue as it reads DVDs ok but only pressed ones (no +/-rs or rws). With cds it can read rs but not rws. It has been like this since i got it.

It's either firmware or software (red/blue/whatever color book) issue. I had similar problems, only reversed. My Burner read everything, but didn't react properly to the audio CDs or DVD movies. It presumed that those were data CD/DVD. Had to reinstall the windows to set it right.

Hey I now have another problem :-(
I did have power dvd on the system and i tried changing the screen size so i cud watch the DVD's.. but the problem is it changed the whole screen to big!! then my friend (wish i never took his advice) told me to unistall the power dvd so the settings would change back to normal. But when i try to go to properties in the display the slider dosent move so im stuck, is there any way of changing it back to its default settings?

Daniel.

It happened to me on my old machine with GeForce 4 VGA. It has something to do with overlay settings. If your VGA is NVIDIA powered, then follow these steps:

- right click on the desktop
- select "proprieties"
- click on the "settings" tab
- click on the "advanced" button
- click on the "GeForce xxxx" tab
- if the new NVIDIA's control panel is is enabled, switch to the classic one and click "apply"
- in the tab next to the "advanced tab" open up the branch named after your VGA and select "Video Overlay Settings"
- Click on the "Restore Defaults" button.
- if it is grayed, then toggle the zooming and click the "Restore Defaults button. There are either "zoom in" and "zoom out" buttons on the display illustration or a slide bar for zooming in and out.

I'm afraid that this problem goes beyond video driver and settings, for I constantly have that problem on my old machine. Every time I switch in and out of full screen mode in BS Player, my screen remains zoomed and every time I need to manually do these steps. Only way I found to permanently resolve this problem was fresh windows installation

-

Thank you for all your help.
I'm afraid that I do not have GeForce xxxx. But I will do a fresh windows installation.

Thank you so very much and I do appericiate it.

Daniel

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.