I have a spare 512mb RAM lying around in an old computer, and I'm considering adding it to my current computer, which has 1024mb RAM already. I'm running a custom system, the specs will be below. I want to know if there's a specific brand make of RAM that won't work on this computer. Or if the RAM will still work if it isn't the same make as the RAM already in the computer. Sorry if this is a completely stupid question it's just I've read on forums that people require different makes of RAM for different systems. If you need anything else let me know what it is and how to get to it.

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: MSI
System Model: MS-7260
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory: 1024MB RAM
Page File: 651MB used, 1808MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

hi,

if you're old RAM has the same memory frequency with the your new RAM then it will work fine...

Usually it should state in the manual or motherboard manufacturers web site if there is any specific ram that works or not.

Also check that it is the same type of RAM and is compatible with your motherboard.
E.g. ur current RAM lets say is PC3200
Ur old RAM lets say is PC2100
The old RAM wouldn't work beacuse it is the wrong type. To see what type it is, look at the RAM sticks and it will say on it.

commented: bs -4
commented: There you go!! :) +3

Thanks for the help, I cracked open the old computer and found that the RAM was an Eclipse or something like that 256mb. I was worried and thought that the new computer had 2 separate 512mb sticks of RAM in and wouldn't be able to fit anymore sticks of RAM in. As I found out via the see through side panel (I'm using an XBLADE Case) that the computer is using a single 1GB stick of RAM and still has 3 spare slots for RAM so hopefully the RAM will be compatible. Now that I know what to look for I'll be able to ensure I don't insert a stick of RAM that isn't compatible and have to take off the side of the Case.

. ur current RAM lets say is PC3200
Ur old RAM lets say is PC2100
The old RAM wouldn't work beacuse it is the wrong type.

Actually it will it will just run at PC2100 speed (slowest link in the chain)

commented: You are wrong +0
commented: Equalizer! Stop beating him up JB. He is trying to help +3

But bennet also remember you can't run DDR RAM in DDR2 slots. Otherwise you are wasting the slots.
According to a tech guy a sopke to ages ago, you shouldn't mix RAM spaces either.
E.g. You have 2 1Gb RAM sticks, and you shouldn't put 2 512Mb RAM sticks with them, apparently your computer slows down with more of the memory. Am i thinking of the frequency and mixing it up with the storage capacity?

Bennet you are wrong, my system uses PC3200 RAM sticks, and crucial technology website says my slots can only take PC2700 or PC4000 along with PC3200. So you are wrong.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.