System:
Windows XP
Core 2 Quad 2.4ghz
4 gigs Ram
XFX 8800 GTS 640mb
Gigabyte Motherboard

Just built my new computer and it was working just fine last night and the 3 weeks since I completed building it. I tried to hook up a floppy drive from my old comp. that ran XP. When I turned on the computer again everything started up just fine then it shut off after the XP loading screen. I tried to start it again the system recognized all hardware, started up again, then a few secs. later shut off. (well before reaching the desktop screen). I removed the floppy and tired to start again, same thing shut down after about 45 sec.

Like I said everything was working just fine 10 mins before, no random shut downs or crashes in the past. Now I have it set just as it was when it was running perfect, and it keeps auto shutting off w/in 20-45 secs (sometimes before BIOS sometimes just after). Any ideas what the problem could be?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Take the back off and see what the fans are doing when you boot, especially the CPU fan.

This is a symptom of CPU overheating. Of course it could be something else but that's the starting point on the basis of what you've described. You know, plugs get pulled or imperfectly set when you're faffing around with the floppy cables, etc.

make sure there's enough thermal compound on the processor, check if the heatsink on the processor is seated properly...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.