Ok, thanks in advace for any help anyone can give me. I am not to good at computer things so sorry if my question is a stupid one. Ok first off I am in Japan so the computer that I am having problems with is running Japanese operating systems. I know that shouldn't matter but it does complicate things a little for me. The computer that I am trying to fix turned off by itself today and then it went to restart but windows never booted. The computer kept going to the black screen offering options of how to start the computer. I tried all the options and it still wouldn't go to windows. It just keeps restarting over and over. I don't want to lose the information on the computers hard drive so I really don't want to reinstall windows. Also I don't have the startup cd. The computer is my wifes and she does't know where any of the cds and things are. The computer is running on windows xp. Also I tried hitting F8 when the computer started up becasue I saw on some other threads to try that. It didn't work.

Any help or advice would be great. Also since I don't have the windows cd is there a way to make one using one of my laptops?

Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Also since I don't have the windows cd is there a way to make one using one of my laptops?

Thanks.

do you have a winxp cd belonging to one of you laptops ,if yes you could boot to that and go to the recover console and do a chkdsk /f.
depending on the age of you laptops ,if new ,you should be able to make recovery cd/dvd with them ,look for the option to do so in start /all programs ,maybe in accessories /system tools or just in all programs .
if it has a floppy drive you could get winxp boot disk at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310994

I may be able to find the start up disk for one of the laptops if I am lucky, and so far I haven't been.

I just took the computer apart that won"t start and removed the hard drive in order to try to fix it by hooking it to another computer to explore it, or at least save the data, but now a new I have a new problem. I have a IDE to USB 2.0 kit that someone left at my house. With the kit you can make an internal hard drive to an external one. Well the problem is I have no software to put on my laptop to run it, so my computer will not detect the hard drive. The kit is made by Marshal. Does anyone know of a universal driver or a way to make my computer recognize the hard drive?

Also any advice on what to do to get my desktop up and running.

you dont need software to connect the external drive via USB, connect the drive, then power on the external drive

the hard drive i have use to be an internal hard drive, and i am using a kit to make it external but it is not working. i tried hooking it up and plugging it in. i think i need a driver.

the hard drive i have use to be an internal hard drive, and i am using a kit to make it external but it is not working. i tried hooking it up and plugging it in. i think i need a driver.

xp should regonize it ,make sure to connect he 40 pin adapter to the drive first ,then the power ,then plug in the usb to the laptop

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.