Hi, I am having problems uninstalling Norton Antivirus 2007. I removed it through control panel using remove programs and then ran the Norton removal tool but on startup still get the following message: C:\progra~1\Symantec\S32EVNT1.DLL. an installable virtual device driver failed Dll initialization

All help greatly appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

two programs that may help are winpatrol (freeware) should stop the startup item. then ccleaner.

I also in hte past have had a lot of trouble uninstalling Norton. One trick that I use is after the uninstall to go looking for anything relating to Norton or Symantec. Often the uninstall does not totally uninstall all the directories and start up or initialising parts.
Once you have done that try a good registry cleaner there ar quite a few free ones then when you have done that I suggest that you run regedit and go into the registry and remove any keys that relate to norton or symantec (beware of two things one make a registry back up as any wrong moves can completely screw up the machine
two if you remove all references to Norton you will also remove any ancillary Norton programs like the security suite, Norton firewall etc.
This method is long and laborious but is the only way I, and some of my colleagues have managed to totally remove any traces of Norton.
Take great care and if you are not happy about going into the registry get help...
If you make a registry backup (file menu... export) and yoou do cause problems you can then reimport the original registry.
M

two programs that may help are winpatrol (freeware) should stop the startup item. then ccleaner.

Great, thanks for the advice. I will give it a go.

:)

Thanks. You are taking me to places I have never been but am prepared to give it a go as this message really annoys me.

I have Regseeker, will this do the job.

I do not know regseeker but there are many registry clean up programs. provided you have removed all other things like directories relating to Norton any good cleaner should thn remove any references to Norton but some err on the side of safety!!
M

I don't have a link because I'm just not that smart, but norton has a specific removal tool on their support site that works fairly well. It is a separate program from the unistalls that come with some of the software. I had a problem with an install recently and the only way to fix it was to uninstall completely and start fresh. Hope this helps

While I'm not bad mouthing registry cleaners or bersim's technical abilities, reg cleaners can if not used properly do more damage than good leaving you with a badly corrupted system.

Provided you have run the proper Norton tool for your version and deleted the Folders you should have no need for a reg cleaner.

Uninstall anything Norton/Symantec and LiveUpdate from normal mode. If you still have problems then run the following tools

Norton Antivirus 2004 and later
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/linked_files/tsgen/SymNRT.exe

Delete the following folders if present:
C:\Program Files\ (Delete all folders beginning with Norton or Symantec.)
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec

If you had Norton Internet Security run the following tool

NIS 2007
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.