hi guys i recently had the harddrive in my hp laptop crash, when you boot the computer it says that it cannot find the operating system and soon after shuts down.
i have found that if i tap the computer near the harddrive it will boot up 25% of the time and once it is booted everything works fine there are no problems with the harddrive until i reboot.
so off the bat id say its a lose connection between the motherboard and the harddrive.
if i am wrong let me know but.
if i am right, what i want to know is there any way to fix without buying a brand new motherboard.. they run about 200$ + shipping on ebay and thats expensive to a college student.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

i have found that if i tap the computer near the harddrive it will boot up 25% of the time and once it is booted everything works fine there are no problems with the harddrive until i reboot.

Could this be a sign of the HD actually dieing? ive heard when a HD dies it dies slowly and may still work just badly.

if you believe that it is a loose connection why not open the laptop and try to remove and reinsert the hard drive. Check the connection to ensure nothing is actually broken.

well i dont really know what is wrong, i have pulled the whole computer apart... nothing appears to be broken, i can get into the bios of the MB most of the time but it hits the HP invent screen then goes to a black screen with no operating system found blinking rapidly at the top of the screen.
im looking for what possibly could be causing this..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.