hi guys i recently had the harddrive in my hp laptop crash, when you boot the computer it says that it cannot find the operating system and soon after shuts down.
i have found that if i tap the computer near the harddrive it will boot up 25% of the time and once it is booted everything works fine there are no problems with the harddrive until i reboot.
so off the bat id say its a lose connection between the motherboard and the harddrive.
if i am wrong let me know but.
if i am right, what i want to know is there any way to fix without buying a brand new motherboard.. they run about 200$ + shipping on ebay and thats expensive to a college student.

Contributors
Replies
Views
9 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by nickolasdelonge

i have found that if i tap the computer near the harddrive it will boot up 25% of the time and once it is booted everything works fine there are no problems with the harddrive until i reboot.

Could this be a sign of the HD actually dieing? ive heard when a HD dies it dies slowly and may still work just badly.

if you believe that it is a loose connection why not open the laptop and try to remove and reinsert the hard drive. Check the connection to ensure nothing is actually broken.

well i dont really know what is wrong, i have pulled the whole computer apart... nothing appears to be broken, i can get into the bios of the MB most of the time but it hits the HP invent screen then goes to a black screen with no operating system found blinking rapidly at the top of the screen.
im looking for what possibly could be causing this..

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.