I am office manager of a small law firm with about 20 computers using Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition. We share our documents on a network drive using folders labeled for each client, project, etc. My problem is that many users "accidentally" drag a folder and move the contents to another location on a fairly regular basis. I have asked our outside IT people if we can set the permissions to allow people to create, edit & delete documents, but not to create folders move or delete folders. Can anyone help me figure out a way to prevent this unfortunate problem?

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

I have an important folder where we save mainly pdf documents. Is there any way to set up the entire folder, subfolder and contents as read only? - I want any user to be able to add documents as read-only and only administrators the ability to create folders.

go into your file server ands et the permission you want for each user and yes you can make the folder read only. as for moving the file all these can be done from the server side. disable copy, move but enable create shortcut. you can also create user profile in Active Directory and set the permission and type of access then have to different folders and files.

Thanks for the response. I need a little more direction - I can't find the option to disable copy & move or enabe create shortcut in my folder permissions. Where can I find these? We have Server 2003 Standard Edition.

i am not before a server right now so i can't walk you through step by step. But its quite similar to right clicking on the directory choose properties then go to the security tab. and use the advance button. you can add user and chooses how they have access to the directory. if you use AD you can add a share folder set the permissions then add user or groups to have certain permission on the share folder.

yup, everything is there in the advanced permissions window. just have a look through it.

I still need help. I cannot find any permissions options to deny: copy & move nor to allow create shortcut -maybe it has to do with our system: we are using Windows XP Pro on the computers and Server 2003 Standard Edition. Here is what I get for advanced security options:

Full Control
Traverse Folder/Execute File
List Folder / Read Data
Read Attributes
Create Files/Write Data
Create Fp;ders/Append Data
Write Attributes
Delete Subfolders and Files
Delete
Read Permissions
Change Permissions
Take Ownership

deny :
Full control, write attribs, delete subfolders/files, delete, change permissions and take ownership

I still need help. I cannot find any permissions options to deny: copy & move nor to allow create shortcut -maybe it has to do with our system: we are using Windows XP Pro on the computers and Server 2003 Standard Edition. Here is what I get for advanced security options:

Full Control DENY
Traverse Folder/Execute File
List Folder / Read Data
Read Attributes
Create Files/Write Data DENY
Create Fp;ders/Append Data DENY
Write Attributes DENY
Delete Subfolders and Files DENY
Delete DENY
Read Permissions
Change Permissions DENY
Take Ownership DENY

Deny the ones in red

I think this is pretty close - just one issue. I have subfolders to this folder and documents within the folders that users now cannot open. I want them to be able to open and view, but not change, delete or move.
Did I miss something, or do I need to do this for each folder individually?

there is a tickbox for propagating permissions to child subfoolders

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.