Windows Explorer seems to be missing. I found the a Short Cut in C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories and when I click on the Short Cut, it brings up My Documents. It is not visible in the Program Files, and I have configured the Folder Options to show All Hidden Files. Recently, I shut down the computer for the night and the next morning after booting up, three quarters of the All Programs menu was gone. I have not been successful opening any of the programs from the Programs Files. I have AVG Suite 7.5 for security and also run Threatfire. I havent figured out how to shut down the virus or syware conponents in AVG but do run Avast Home Edition 4.7 as well as Spyware Doctor weekly.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Windows explorer executable (explorer.exe) will not be in Program Files directory. you should be able to find it in C:\WINDOWS directory.

Windows Explorer seems to be missing. I found the a Short Cut in C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories and when I click on the Short Cut, it brings up My Documents.

Strange. There could be a number of causes. Have you tried to "Ctl-Alt-Delete", and kill the explorer.exe process that is running? Then, from the task manager, try File->New Task(Run...), and type "c:\windows\explorer.exe"?

Recently, I shut down the computer for the night and the next morning after booting up, three quarters of the All Programs menu was gone. I have not been successful opening any of the programs from the Programs Files.

Did Microsoft updates install prior to shutdown? Did it take a long time to shutdown that night?

Thank you for clarifying the location of the explorer.exe file. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Unfortunately, I need help finding a way to fix the Short Cut and open the programs missing from the "All Programs" menu. As you can see, I don't know what I'm doing, never-the-less, I am eager to learn.

If memory serves me, there were no updates that night. I did'nt notice that it took any longer to shut down as it is slow to shut down. This "event" happened last week.

In response to, have tried to"Ctrl-Alt-Delete" and kill the explorer.exe process that is running? No. I would like to learn. I can follow the second half of your directions.

No, I am trying to find a way to open the programs and I thought Explorer might be it
I'll give System Restore a try. Thank you for your time.

Hello, cookie... if you have a desktop with icons, a task bar or Start/All programs visible then Windows Explorer is running. Internet Explorer is totally different, although some functions are similar. [I wrote a lil bit about W E to a poster named cynikal in Viruses, Nasties forum [last page of thread] to point out the basics of what it is..]
I suggest you remove one of your AV services... since you have AVG suite [paid] you could remove Avast. Anyway... you choose, but do it NOW.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.