Hi there,

I recently purchased 2 DELL 64 bit computers running Windows XP Pro x64. Both these machines exhibit the same oddball behavior when I try to copy information from an OS X server (10.4.8 and 10.4.11) to the machine. The same thing happens whether I drag or copy/paste for the transfer.

It will:

1- Work fine but only for small transfers.
2-The "copying" dialog box appears but it never completes the operation. I can still click cancel, though.
3-The "copying" dialog box appears then disappears but not all elements have been copied. No error mesage is shown.
4-The PC becomes totally unresponsive during the transfer. From here I can only cold boot.

I first thought it might be an NTFS problem but I have several other Windows XP machines (the 32-bit variety) and they have no problem. So I figure it has something to do with the x64 architecture.

Has anyone encountered similar problems? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

THX

James

I believe I found my problem.

Avast! seems to be the culprit. When I deactivate it, the copy completes without a hitch.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good anti-viral software for Win XP x64?

THX

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.