I am new to Server 2003, I am learning of the internet and I wanted to do a group policy. I got told to make a new OU (Organisation Unit) in AD and then set a policy within the properties with the admin templates, so I created a policy e.g Lockout control panel and I saved this and then I added a user in the OU then I logged in a other computer connected to the domain but the user gets to go on control panel,

Help would be much aprieciated becasue im a teenager :D

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

I created a new strategy, get GPMC and once I installed it and created a policy, the policy wokred when I logged into the server but when I logged into a client no policy was in affect. so I know the policy is working, just not for the clients on the domain.

Any help would be aprieciated

Bondi

you need to tell the clients where to get the policies from

How do I do that?

I have linked to the domain so is it easy to do?

did you add the policy to the domain controller. that the domain the user is logging on to

Well there was 2 I think, domain controller policy and defualt domain policy, I edited the default domain policy not the domain controller policy, I knwo it isnt good practive but I am learning lol so is this right or wrong becasue the policy is in affect but not fot he clients

remember that end user are loginng on to the domain that issue policies. then in AD you set additional user rights and restriction.

Don't worry about it although its good to creat a test OU and copy from default setting when you have things working you can either rename the test OU or copy it to the New OU you want to create.

I dont get you... sorry

I understand the OU part but for nwo how do I get the policy to work on the client?

Also when I send a net send message it doesnt go to the client computer either ??? it just comes back to the server ?? I feel liek evn though the computer is logged on in home.local it feels liek it is not talking to the domain???

any help?

for each user you MUST add them to the domain that you create the policy on
see the attachment.

The user is in the group of domain users, so what do I do?

Also when I send a net send message it doesnt go to the client computer either ??? it just comes back to the server ?? I feel liek evn though the computer is logged on in home.local it feels liek it is not talking to the domain???

SP2 set the messenger service to disabled and blocked the ports for it using the firewall. The service is totally removed in vista. This was as spammers were using net send to send spam mail to the whole internet, making XP virtually unusable.

So any ideas on this stupid policy then?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.