I upgraged from Win ME to Win XP. I am able to start to up XP in safe mood. But when I try to start in normal mood it gives me a black screen and will not go any futher. Anyone got any ideas why this would be happening?

Thanks in advice.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

This is the error I get when I try to log in Safe mode (not as admin)

The driver for the display device was unable to complete a drawing operation. Please check with the device manufacturer for a driver update.

The display driver for the ATI RADWON VE DDR seems to be responsible for the system instability.

Any ideas on where I can find this or how to fix it?

Thanks in advance

try www.ati.com for the driver you need. double check to find out what model your graphics card is, and download it from the site. burn it to a cd or put it on a USB thumb drive, then start your computer up in safe mode.

uninstall the bad display driver, then restart in safemode again.

install the driver you downloaded, and then try to restart and boot regularly.

that's just the standard instructions for updating your display drivers. I hope that solves your problem

On atis website there is a utility to completely wipe all trace of ATI drivers from your system use that in safemode then reboot

Thanks I working now.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.