iv been plagued by that dreaded blue screen bad_pool_caller thing, but i have NO clue whats started it it just started happening yesturday and it hppened again this morning. looking at other threads it seems that its due to a driver fault or memory poblems but thats me speculating. i didnt record the stop code so next time it happens il write it down and post it. but for the moment do u have any general things that i cud look it to??

I have a fujitsu siemens laptop, amilo xi 1546 with

Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 Processor 2.00GHz 4MB Cache
2048MB DDR2 RAM (2 x 1024MB)
200GB (2 x 100GB) hard drive
256MB ATI Radeon X1800 Graphics

if that helps lol

if u need more info let me know

Recommended Answers

All 27 Replies

Please check here
This will tell you what your error reprosents.

ah ok thnx il have a look

cheers

just happened again got the codes here

0x0000008E

(0xC0000047, 0x804FCF00, 0x97CD2060,
0x00000000)

couldnt really find anything that helps on what you directed me to

thanks again

0x0000008E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

Is that the writing you get?

If it is that would point to as the article suggests a Hardware compatibility issue. Have you got the latest drivers for anything and everything that you have recently installed onto your machine. Such as Graphics cards drivers. Your amount of RAM does not seem to be the problem, but please to try booting with 1 stick at a time in each slot to see if a bad stick of RAM is causing your BSOD.

might of been i dunno i didnt really look i just wrote doen the numbers it looked different to the other screen i saw lat time though, im sure the last screen said bad pool caller or something and this one didnt i dont know.

next time it does this il repost more info

i would asume that all graphics drivers were up to date but il have a hunt around just in case

for the mean time how do you boot ram one stick at a time when it comes to the actual workings of a computer i turn to the t'internet for instructions ^^

am i to understand u have a laptop computer? with 2 hard drives or 2 partition on a 200g? explain please.

as for the BSOD do u get it after windows is upo and running or before windows start.
if during when windows is running where were u doing or click on when it happen. if before windows startup, hit f8 when it's booting up choose bootlog then check the log for what is causing the problem.

it occurs whilst windows is running and quite sporadically so im not to sure what is exactly causing it. the first time it happened it occured whilst on windows messenger but i had loadsa other programs running so it cuda been anything
it also happened today but i wasnt at there at the time i opened it up and there it was this was after my family had been at it so im not sure. my family has a limited acsess acount which i instituted recently this wouldnt have anything to do with it would it?

i do indeed have a laptop im pretty sure its a partitioned hard drive but im not sure how would you check

*it is partitioned i just checked disc management theres only 19% disc space left il need to get rid of some stuff lol

Do your family log off leaving something running?

Or has your family downloaded a trojan?

probably they use it to speak to friends and stuff on skype etc, slightly annoyin as i then dont know what goes on whilst im not around. il run antivirus just incase

what problems can logging off whilst leaving things running cause?

if the bsod happen when windows is running look in the event viewer this will tell you what critical hard/software is causing the prblem. if this does not ahow anything run a spyware scan .spybot, adaware any of those. also check out some on the start up proframs your fam might have installed.

ND run in safe mode for a better chance of not getting the BSOD

scan says no virus etc

was that a virus scan or a spyware/adware scan. and what program are u using for the scan

was norton antivirus (yes i know its a con etc but my dad gets thru work) didnt seem to show anything up. whats better out of spybot or adaware?

also what am i looking for in the event viewer?

right iv definatly had 2 different bsod's

one was the codes iv already posted but it happened earlier whilst family was using it again and it was the bad pool caller again

i got this info off of event viewer

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000c2 (0x00000007, 0x00000cd4, 0x020d0002, 0x87463d08). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP.

0x000000C2: BAD_POOL_CALLER
(Click to consult the online Win XP Resource Kit article.)
A kernel-mode process or driver incorrectly attempted to perform memory operations. Typically, a faulty driver or buggy software causes this.
This is from here: http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm
So read this article and see if it corresponds to what you are getting:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms796120.aspx
It also says to use the program 'Driver Verifier' , i know nothing about this program so Wikipedia or this article will help:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms792872.aspx

Hope that helps you.

thanks il have a look

btw wats better adaware or spybot?

...btw wats better adaware or spybot?

Both.

I use both. A double-check is handy.

Ad-Aware is industry strenght; SpyBot is beloved of the brainios here and I've come across it at universities as a mandatory tool for students.

this was definatly one of the bugs listed but the others were not

0x07 Reserved Pool header contents Address of the block of pool being freed The current thread attempted to free the pool, which was already freed.

typing in one of the codes i found this webpage which lists my exact coding for the first error

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939868

it says something about running with one processor?

Both.

I use both. A double-check is handy.

Ad-Aware is industry strenght; SpyBot is beloved of the brainios here and I've come across it at universities as a mandatory tool for students.

thanks il download them now

in set up of spybot is it a good idea to create a back of my registry if they may be problems with it or uneeded parts of it, if so whats a good registry cleanup software i was looking for some before however im not sure who to trust

in set up of spybot is it a good idea to create a back of my registry if they may be problems with it or uneeded parts of it, if so whats a good registry cleanup software i was looking for some before however im not sure who to trust

Interesting question (and TOXY is a nice handle btw).

By all means back up the registry but note for future reference that the backup was taken whilst investigating system errors. I'd further suggest that you restore that backup only under advice.

Good FREE registry cleanup software is Advanced Windows Care. I use more than one and AWC ranks second in my experience to UniBlue's RegistryBoster 2 for which you have to pay.

cheers for that! (quite proud of my name to ^^)

right got some new info!

"ATI video bios poller client

memory could not be read

Atiievxx.exe application error

0x7c911639 ref mem at 0x009c3005"

family wrote this whilst i was at college today
apparently its happened before, glad they decided to tell me now ... *sigh*

so im guessing this means its a defo driver problem or something of the sort to do with my graphics card

Yeah i would definatly consider uninstalling any driver realted software through the add/remove programs part of the control panel. Then instal the latest drivers for your ATi GFX card. To find which drivers they are go here: http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html

....so im guessing this means its a defo driver problem or something of the sort to do with my graphics card

As Serunson suggested in his first post!

Well spotted Suspishio :P
Second post to be correct, but well observed :)
Oh i do love a gd BSOD in the evening...........

thanks all i shall see what happens for the moment i shall leave this one as solved methinks

thanks for all the help!

No worries, i like stretching my brain activity! :D

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.