Decided to format my daughters computer with Windows XP but it all went pear shaped. Now the computer won't boot up at all. It runs from the A drive boot up disc ok but then takes me to DOS prompt. Same from CD drive with Windows XP disc in. How do I get this PC booted up again?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

are you able to bring up BIOS?

it sounds like you might have deleted windows from the hard drive, if you go into BIOS and set the cd drive to be first in the boot priority then place the windows xp cd in the cd drive save your changes and reboot the computer you should be able to reinstall windows.

note: this will be a clean install and you will have lost all of your data from before so if there is anything on the drive that was important that you need you might want to try and install the drive on a different computer as a slave and use a recovery program to try and get the lost data before you install windows. there is no guarantee that you can recover the data but it is worth a try.

Decided to format my daughters computer with Windows XP but it all went pear shaped.

ok you formated it did you continue and install winxp after the format .

Now the computer won't boot up at all. It runs from the A drive boot up disc ok but then takes me to DOS prompt.

that what a bootdisk is for ,the dos prompt is where you type in the commands ,but you need to know what is it you want to do ,so you know what command you want to use.

Same from CD drive with Windows XP disc in. How do I get this PC booted up again?

install winxp

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.