Ok i have installed a slave drive on the family computer. Now to save space. I want to install all my kids games only on the salve drive. How can I ensure the auto install only installs to the slave drive?

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

I don't bother with editing the registry for that. The process is too easy to start with.

Begin installing the game as usual. When you are asked which directory to install to, simply click on the address to highlight it, use the cursor key to scroll to the beginning of the address, and change the drive letter. The game will be installed to a 'Program files' directory structure on the drive of your choice.

Simple ;)

I don't bother with editing the registry for that. The process is too easy to start with.

Begin installing the game as usual. When you are asked which directory to install to, simply click on the address to highlight it, use the cursor key to scroll to the beginning of the address, and change the drive letter. The game will be installed to a 'Program files' directory structure on the drive of your choice.

Simple ;)

If it were only that simple. Only about half the time do I get asked where I want it to go to, the rest of the time it gets installed automatically on the C drive. I have a feeling this is Larry's situation as well.

I thank caperjack for the link and will probably put it to use. :)

I honestly haven't seen a game manufactured in the last 5 years that didn't prompt for an install directory!

Ok thanks for the quick responses. I've been busy praying for the Red Sox, dreams do come true (or tonite will be yet another example of dashing the hearts of the fans, just when they have nearly reached heaven)
Anyway, back to the slave drive issues. Ok, The games load automatically. I have yet to see a game my sons load that actually let you select the directory. But playing with the registry scares the be-jeepers out of me. How about idiot prove instructions. Then, how can I transfer all these games to the slave drive, or do I have to uninstall them and reinstall to the new drive? This of course will drive my sons crazy because they have saved all their accomplishments in each game.

You need to uninstall then reinstall.

I'm quite surprised to hear of games that don't prompt for confirmation of the installation directory. Perhaps the installation is being rushed by clicking on 'Next' and the selection is being missed. I really am serious here, and not trying to suggest you're wrong. But in my role as a hardware and games related journalist I come across a LOT of software, and the only games I've seen recently which actually install the way you describe are ones intended for the use of very young children, which actually only install a small loader to the hard drive, and run the game itself from the CD.

By the way, here's a good article about editing the registry, written by a colleague of mine:

http://www.geekgirls.com/windows_registry02.htm#using

Catweazle: in my case the installations aren't being rushed, in fact I do it so slowly, reading everything to make sure I don't miss something, that it irritates my son! Wish I had your luck in always getting software that asks!

Larry: Are you using XP? If you create a Restore Point on your system before you make any changes, you can always go back if you make a mistake. And/or you can create a backup of the registry to really make sure by following the steps from M$:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=322756#2
It won't hurt anything to do both the Restore Point and backup.

After you've set a Restore Point and/or made a backup of the registry, follow the steps in the link caperjack provided.

If you intend to make a backup of the registry (and you should!) it's a good idea to create a 'Backups' folder in the Root directory of your main drive. Save the registry backup to there and give it a distinctive filename of no more than 8 characters.

That way, even if things go horribly wrong, it's quite easy to locate and restore from a command console should your system be rendered unable to boot into Windows.

And you lot really have me puzzled about those games. What the hell sort of games are you installing?

Thanks to all responders. Catweazel (my son's love the name) all my teenage son's games load as described. I'll tackel this over the weekend and let you know how it goes. (that way I can waste the entire weekend fixing what I screw up)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.