I have been getting SOME messages on Hotmail that looks like this.

+ADw-div+AD4- +ADw-div class+AD0-Section1+AD4- +ADw-p class+AD0-MsoNormal+AD4APA-font size+AD0-2 color+AD0-navy face+AD0-Arial+AD4APA-span style+AD0AIg-font-size:10.0pt+ADs-color:navy+ACIAPg

It is with the other message text but takes longer to open up than the usual messages.
I saw in Google that at least 2 other people are getting this too.

It first came from a business in Canada and then got one from a businees in Israel..

Then I got one from someone who communicated with both of them.
But his other messages open fine.
Most of my emails are ok..just from these 3 so far..

Is this a virus?

Any ideas??

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

I used a computer off site to see if my computer was doing it.

I still got the AD+..etc clutter..so it seems to be Hotmail related.

Not much help, I know, but-

What you're seeing improperly interpreted/parsed formatting coding in the message. I doubt it's virus-related, although I can't say why Hotmail isn't handling it correctly.

Hello,
Did you ever figure out how to fix this problem? I am experiencing it also, just from a few businesses as well. Very frustrating!
thanks, Emily

I have been getting SOME messages on Hotmail that looks like this.

+ADw-div+AD4- +ADw-div class+AD0-Section1+AD4- +ADw-p class+AD0-MsoNormal+AD4APA-font size+AD0-2 color+AD0-navy face+AD0-Arial+AD4APA-span style+AD0AIg-font-size:10.0pt+ADs-color:navy+ACIAPg

It is with the other message text but takes longer to open up than the usual messages.
I saw in Google that at least 2 other people are getting this too.

It first came from a business in Canada and then got one from a businees in Israel..

Then I got one from someone who communicated with both of them.
But his other messages open fine.
Most of my emails are ok..just from these 3 so far..

Is this a virus?

Any ideas??

Given that reports thus far have indicated the problem to be with (some) emails from specific senders, it's quite possible that the problem/corruption is on the sender's end; there may not anything you can do about it.

Contact the sender and have them resend one of the garbled messages; see if the second copy appears corrupted as well.

Poorly configured HTML email will do this.
What you see is an attempt to render the HTML as plain text.

Not your problem, and most such bad clients are associated with mass mailers more normally used by spammers than legitimate businesses (though some use them for mailing lists).

What I have found is that if you have a plus and minus sign in the body of the email either sent from a web based email program or from outlook, just like this +- , then it will garble the message.

Try it yourself,

Type this:

This is just a +- test.
Then send it and check it out in hotmail...

Let me know what you found..

P.S. This applies only to email that are sent as regular plain text and NOT HTML...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.