I used this a long time ago because I found it helpful. I've decided to use it again, but it won't start up. Could this be the fault of service pack 2?

Is there anything I can do to get it to work.

Edit: What it does is show the hourglass next to my mouse for about a third of a second, and then nothing happens.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

hmmmmm.......

PROGMAN.EXE is included in the System Folder with Windows 95, and I think it might be still lurking in Windows 98, but it's certainly not a part of Windows XP. Where'd you get it from?

Actually it is part of Windows XP. They've simply moved it to windows/system32. It contains a lot less bugs than the 95/98 versions. I have only seen it for myself in Home Edition, but its probably there in Professional as well. Here's a screenie:

http://theelectricuniverse.com/progman.jpg

Unfortunatly, although it the EXE has not been removed in Service Pack 2, it has been altered so that it no longer does anything. What I did in the end to get it to work is copy the EXE from C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$ which seems to be where the old SP1 files are contained. I pasted it into a different folder (because I felt uncomfortable overwriting the SP2 one) and just ran it. As you can see from the screenshot, it works great. I find it so much quicker than going through my start menu to get stuff, and I don't have to worry about my icons continually getting moved as they do on my desktop.

My sincere apologies! I've just checked and it's certainly present in both Home Edition and Professional Edition. And as you say, it rund under SP1 but not under SP2. Wierd, and I've seen no mention of it previously. Something to look into I feel :)

What I did in the end to get it to work is copy the EXE from C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$ which seems to be where the old SP1 files are contained.

Would you mind making it available? We'd be extremely grateful.

Would you mind making it available? We'd be extremely grateful.

Since Windows is copyrighted, we can't share the file. However, you can find it in the Windows installer disk I386 folder.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.