I have got a nasty virus on my desktop running windows xp sp2

Basically, it has:
- Disable mcafee services
- Disabled all cookies
- Hijacked my ie

I have read countless forums and have tried what seems like thousands of methods

All of the methods I have read about require me to go to a site and download a free program to scan, at this point I'll try anything, but the thing is when I do that, I get a ie error page saying that the page was not found... NO MATTER THE SITE.

Whenever I try to go to McAfee to reinstall the McAfee suite, it says no page could be found

Whenever I do a google search, it redirects to asiuoqgusdbaksd.com for a second, then to about 40 different pop-ups... this just crashes my computer, causing me to reboot

And on top of all that, I get a xp anti-virus pop-up that just shows up whenever and freezes the computer completely

I have successfully downloaded spybot through hundreds of trials and errors, even got the program installed, but it will not let me run it, not even in safe-mode...
I get an error message (sometimes) that says, a part of the .exe is missing, but I have tried reinstalling it many times, and no luck

I am thinking about trying to make a disc with one of the programs, and trying that, but im not sure if it will run...

Anyone have any suggestions

I can't even give you a log of the trojans and viruses, it wont let me run anything!

- Thanks
Ben

If you have your original copy of XP, reboot your PC with it and start a fresh install. When windows finds your old copy of windows it will ask you if you want to repair it, Click "R" and allow windows to repair you PC. If the virus that is affecting you now is still active after that you will have to format your hard drive and start from scratch

If you have your original copy of XP, reboot your PC with it and start a fresh install. When windows finds your old copy of windows it will ask you if you want to repair it, Click "R" and allow windows to repair you PC. If the virus that is affecting you now is still active after that you will have to format your hard drive and start from scratch

I'm not sure if repairing it would work or not. In addition to the insane web hijacker, I'm prety sure this has also planted many viruses in other files, for ex. personal files, pictures, audio clips... because I tried to open a file and 2 pop-ups came up...

Repair just repairs the sys 32 windows files doesnt it? I'm not sure on this, I don't use windows, I'm a Mac kinda guy.

But, thank you for the response, I will definitely give it a try, hopefully if nothing else I will be able to run hijackthis or something after the repair, and won't have to format

Thanks again,
KSE989

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.