Hi.

I have Win98 running on a laptop computer.

I removed a program called Backweb from my system (from Control Panel Add/Remove) a few weeks back....and now have the problem where my system will not shut down at all! Hangs in the 'Windows is Shutting down' step.
I find that if I do msconfig and look at Startup, the last line is 'run =
C:\CPQS\BACKWEB\HELP\QRUNQ.PIF,'. ** NOTE THE COMMA AT THE END **
If I check this item, my computer will shut down ok (most of the time), but I will get msgs that cannot find QRUNQ.PIF and cannot load or run QRUNQ.PIF specified in the Win.ini file.
Help!
Thx
Bob

That's a Compaq you have there, I presume. Backweb is installed as part of the error reporting and diagnostics software which Compaq preloads onto your system, and deselecting that .PIF entry is causing other related components to 'hang'.

Look through the 'Startup' list in msconfig, check the entries against the information about them you'll find at:

http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm

and deselect any entries which relate to preinstalled Compaq diagnostic and/or reporting tools. You don't need any of them, and they will have been of no use to you anyway since the Warranty first expired ;)

P.S. If thre are any entries which don't correspond with an entry in the task list database I linked, google for information about them :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.